The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I made a thread asking this question but not sure I’ll get a response so I hope it’s okay to ask here…

Is it possible to get lavender (self blue) offspring from blue creams (aka porcelain)? It is my understanding that blue cream is lavender over buff, bred many times over. So I guess I’m wondering if the lavender gene can be isolated out, only using blue creams (and maybe making splits with black??) Or do you have to have a lavender bird to make that happen? I am speaking about silkies, not sure if the genetics are different in other breeds. Thanks so much!

I made a thread asking this question but not sure I’ll get a response so I hope it’s okay to ask here…

Is it possible to get lavender (self blue) offspring from blue creams (aka porcelain). It is my understanding that blue cream is lavender over buff, bred many times over. So I guess I’m wondering if the lavender gene can be isolated out, only using blue creams? Or do you have to have a lavender bird to make that happen? I am speaking about silkies, not sure if the genetics are different in other breeds. Thanks so much!
Porcelain in other breeds is lavender based mille fleur I belive.

@NagemTX Thank you! I knew I would get something wrong 🤦‍♀️ I forgot that porcelain is different in silkies. I guess my question is asking about silkies specifically then 😉 I was told that the blue creams are made by breeding buff to lavender and then breeding the offspring and then outcrossing to lavender then breeding the offspring, and repeating for multiple generations until the blue cream look is achieved. So I believe that they do carry the lavender gene but I’m not sure how the buff genes come into play if trying to isolate it.

@NagemTX Thank you! I knew I would get something wrong 🤦‍♀️ I forgot that porcelain is different in silkies. I guess my question is asking about silkies specifically then 😉 I was told that the blue creams are made by breeding buff to lavender and then breeding the offspring and then outcrossing to lavender then breeding the offspring, and repeating for multiple generations until the blue cream look is achieved. So I believe that they do carry the lavender gene but I’m not sure how the buff genes come into play if trying to isolate it.
Buff with lavender should give a color called in other breeds Isabella. This is a creamy color. "Isabella Leghorns are a newer variety of Leghorn that feature pastel shades of cream and blue. Hens are an even pastel blue shade with cream colored hackles and breasts." Let me grab some pictures.

1000005214.jpg

1000005213.jpg

Isabella or Isabel is the creamy gold color.

@NagemTX Oh! That is it!!! So sorry, I hadn’t heard the term Isabella when that color is applied to silkies. But I do believe that is what is going on with the Blue Cream silkies that I have seen. I don’t have any yet myself (I have 6 developing blue cream eggs in the incubator, so hoping that some hatch.) Lavender silkies are just next to impossible to find, so I was just wondering if there was any possible way to get lavender out of the chicks that I will hopefully hatch in 2 weeks.

@NagemTX Oh! That is it!!! So sorry, I hadn’t heard the term Isabella when that color is applied to silkies. But I do believe that is what is going on with the Blue Cream silkies that I have seen. I don’t have any yet myself (I have 6 developing blue cream eggs in the incubator, so hoping that some hatch.) Lavender silkies are just next to impossible to find, so I was just wondering if there was any possible way to get lavender out of the chicks that I will hopefully hatch in 2 weeks.
You would have to build them off of what you get. If they are overly melinised it's would be possible but that would mean terrible quality for what you purchased.

Only option would be to hope for a male and have black hens for him and line breed till you get solid lavender down the line.

The gene calculator can kinda help you plan it out but you might encounter genes that are hidden when breeding for it still.

Also look on Facebook for them. I'm currently looking for blues, buffs and lavender silkies. The only colors of them I like and there for let my friends daughter keep at my house.😆

Back
Top Bottom