The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

Does anyone know what the correct weights for the hen and rooster for the chocolate orp bantams? Mine are sooo tiny, they are still young but they are about 1/3 the size of the Marans (LF) that I hatched out along with them that are the same age. The roo is a little larger than the girls but not much! He's such a cutie.

Last edited:
I don't have the UK standard but for bantams in the US, the weights are:

Cock- 38 oz
Cockerel - 34 oz
Hen- 34 oz
Pullet- 30 oz

I found this on the internet:

Bantam Cock: 2 Kg, Hen: 1.6 Kg.

which converts to about 4.5 lbs and 3.5 lbs

And is still smaller than what is widely available now.

Last edited:
frow.gif
Heya! Need the rundown on what you have available! :) Want to make sure you get the max out of the trip to Chehalis! :) PM me!

Congrats and enjoy they go broody a lot so be prepared.
2 of my buffs went broody already at about 7 & 9 months, don't know if the chocolate will, she doesn't realize she is a chicken. Hangs with the cats, of course they don't peck at her. She is top cat, but then they all know they can't touch her, she has no such scruples. If she does go broody in the spring I am going to stick a pullet chick or 2 under her, would like her to have a feathered companion to spend time with, especially nights. I worry about her being cold because she is alone.

Does anyone know what the correct weights for the hen and rooster for the chocolate orp bantams? Mine are sooo tiny, they are still young but they are about 1/3 the size of the Marans (LF) that I hatched out along with them that are the same age. The roo is a little larger than the girls but not much! He's such a cutie.
I too have heard 2.5 to 3.5 for hens & about 1 lb more for roos. My Greenfire line chocolate at just under 10 months was 3 lbs 1 oz at the vets the other day. She is very, very English type, just 2 little brown feet coming out of her little round body. Some one who saw her for the first time the other day thought her tail looked like an artichoke.

hey, I am in south africa and new to this thread. I had a beautiful splash bantam orp hen but she had crop and then died in surgery

a few weeks ago.
hit.gif

I keep hearing you guys talking about british and american types.. what type was she? can you tell from the pic?
I want to get another hen now, as a pet again, does anyone know whether certain colours are more affectionate with humans or healthier? Please let me know what you think?
thanks

hey, I am in south africa and new to this thread. I had a beautiful splash bantam orp hen but she had crop and then died in surgery a few weeks ago. :hit I keep hearing you guys talking about british and american types.. what type was she? can you tell from the pic? I want to get another hen now, as a pet again, does anyone know whether certain colours are more affectionate with humans or healthier? Please let me know what you think? thanks
Sorry for your loss. I would say English. She was very pretty. I dont know about color determining friendliness or hardiness. Orps all seem very sweet.

Mystery chick with my chocolates, cuckoo chocolate and black bantam orps. I have a few of the blacks that are American. I can tell a huge difference already in their shape. These chicks hatched 6 and 7 weeks ago. These are my first orps ever! Love them already.

Sorry for your loss. I would say English. She was very pretty. I dont know about color determining friendliness or hardiness. Orps all seem very sweet.
X2 Very round, short back, not much 'leg' showing. And, every Orp I've ever met, even hatchery mutts, have been sweet tempered. My current favorite is a split choc black bantam pullet. Friendly, fabulous personality. Obtaining more ASAP. My lav bantam is sweet, as is the LF Jubilee. Can't seem to go wrong, so far. Always research your source, though. Good luck hedz82.

Back
Top Bottom