The best duck

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
I want to get some ducklings this year. I've had gray mallards and I liked them, but they flew away in fall (and all summer, too, not the friendliest ducks) I want something that can't fly, that is fairly friendly, that doesn't necessarily need a pool and an egg layer would be nice, too. Any suggestions???

The indian runner.
Brilliant egg layer, can become very tame if brought up from young, funny birds to watch running around your garden due to their upright stance, and have been bred not to fly.

The indian runner, like all other domestic ducks dont necessiarly need a pool too swim in. But they would of course love a pool, so maybe something worth thinking about?

I know that Pekins can't fly and I've heard that Campbells aren't that swell at taking off either, but I'm not one hundred percent on that one - they're also good egg layers. My Pekins waddle around and spend a lot of time swimming or lying down in the grass, no flying, they're too pudgy. I want to get some Runner ducks and some Campbells in the future, so maybe if you get some of those you could give me a report on how much fun you're having.
smile.png
~ Oaknim

Thanks for the responses! I've always like Indian runners, I didn't realize they were good egg layers.

What about mixing breeds of ducks? Do like to be with their own breed, (I'm planning on only getting girls) or are they like chickens, you can mix and match.

I would have a pool, just don't want one all the time because I live in mosquito country, so I'd probably fill it couple days a week, for the day and then dump it. I also have a 2 year old little girl and a duck pool is just asking for trouble. So on days when she's with grammie, the ducks will get a bath.
smile.png

I have to say, out of all the duck breeds I have had, I will always be Partial to the Crested Ducks! My Girl was the only crested we had, and she was such a sweetheart. She was such a calm girl, i could bring her in the house, and she Loved all the attention. She was also a gorgeous girl on top of that, and a great layer!

Here is a Couple Pics Of My Crested Girl Sweetpea.
100_8284_renamed_13540.jpg

100_8262.jpg

100_6582.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about the other questions, but I do think it's fine to mix the breeds. Ours are 2 or 3 different kinds (not quite sure yet) and they can't stand to be separated even for a minute. And at the pond there are pekins, muscovies, and mallards, and they all seem to get along well enough, even if they sleep in separate little groups (not necessarily by breed though).

(Sakura's Mom ... she has it permanently logged in as herself.)

Yes most breeds get along together. So mixing and matching will be fine.

If you are a bit uncertain about it then it is best getting the different breeds all as a young age together to grow up together etc.
Which I think you are anyway?

Good Luck with your Future Ducks
wink.png

Well, I did it! I ordered my chickies from Ideal hatchery and got 4 female ducklings w/ them. A black Indian runner, a white and fawn Indian runner, a black Cayuga, and a Blue Swedish. I'm soooo excited!!!
I also got some La Fleche (3f &1m), Turkens(3f and 1m decided to try and start my own line of SG), EE's,(2f) and some Yokohamas(2f). Yay! Yay! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom