Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Mine haven't had a bath in close to a month poor things, everything is frozen around here. They try to bath in their buckets but it isn't the same. lol

True, bathing in buckets just isn't the same. That's when I start to appreciate living in FL. Even here in FL though it's been in the 30's and 40's and in the upper 20's at night.

I am originally born and raised in Fl. At least there things didn't stay frozen long if they froze. Here it seems to have gone on forever. Although we're finally having a warm up this week so maybe the spring will thaw and the water fowl will finally have a pool with water in it. When I say warm up we're at 5* this morning going to 33 tomorrow we'll be in the 40 's for highs we'll think it's spring.

Lol, 5 degrees. I can't handle cold weather at all. Down here in FL we're having a warm up too. It's gonna be in the low 70's. (the perfect temp)

So we've been toying around with the idea of getting this breed next year. We have "dabbled" with other ducks occasionally in the past but ended up rehoming them around mid winter (when I finally couldn't take the frozen mess).

Right now we have 3 pekins that are mostly just for fun and we have a new battle strategy for this winter that basically involves our duck house being placed next to a natural spring (next to our fenced garden) that forms a small pond (going to expand it and so far it has yet to freeze).

Assuming all goes well with them, we are interested in getting a more homestead type duck and really love how pretty these ones are.

We'd like to keep a drake and a couple hens, be able to set some of the eggs (constantly have broody chicken hens) and process the extra males (maybe sell extra females).

Do these make a decent table bird for just the occasional special dinner?

Just trying to think long term here. I like all our stuff to pull there weight at least a little, and between this and eggs for baking (and entertainment) I think they would be good?

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am new to duck-keeping. I've enjoyed reading through this thread for info about buff ducks, but I haven't yet come across this question: I am trying to figure out whether my buff duck, who is appx 12 weeks old, is male or female. It has more female coloring, but still just makes a raspy noise. The bill looks more reddish-brown to me though, so I'm wondering if the bill changes color in male buffs as they get older?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom