The Duck Thread

I have asked myself this question any number of times. My general approach is to err on the side of caution, and do things that don't take whole bunches of extra effort but might make a slight positive difference. Offering drinking water with less poo in it is that kind of thing for me. Just reduces to total bacterial load in what they drink during the course of the day.
I so agree with this, my dh has mentioned many times why give fresh pool water daily or drinking water since they poo in everything, Well they can't help it and I feel better knowing i am doing everything i can to keep them healthy. To me it's just part of taking care of my flock the best I can.

I so agree with this, my dh has mentioned many times why give fresh pool water daily or drinking water since they poo in everything, Well they can't help it and I feel better knowing i am doing everything i can to keep them healthy. To me it's just part of taking care of my flock the best I can.

Yep to this and what Amiga said. I only have two ducks (so far!) and yes I have a heated water bowl AND a bigger rubber-like large pan for them to play in. If in doubt, give fresh water. Always.

Sorry but I'm getting 3 ducks and 1 or 2 drakes tomorrow
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
!!I wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations about what ducks/drakes/supplies/feeders to get.Thank you!

Sorry but I'm getting 3 ducks and 1 or 2 drakes tomorrow
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
!!I wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations about what ducks/drakes/supplies/feeders to get.Thank you!
Bucket for water unless ducklings, they need to be able to dunk their heads for keeping nares and eyes clean and healthy, feeders can vary but I wouldn't buy chicken type of feeders, rubber bowls work well something with a flat bottom so if they step into it hopefully it won't tip over so easy. I use goat troughs that hang so my flock can't climb into or knock over. shaving for their house helps keep poo off the floor and gives them something soft to lay in,. Depending on ages they can all eat the same feed but again ducklings shouldn't be fed layer. What breed are you getting and ages? and Congrats, you'll have to post pics as soon as you can. also for swimming, anything from cement rubber tub to a plastic kiddie pool works unless you have a nice pond.

Bucket for water unless ducklings, they need to be able to dunk their heads for keeping nares and eyes clean and healthy, feeders can vary but I wouldn't buy chicken type of feeders, rubber bowls work well something with a flat bottom so if they step into it hopefully it won't tip over so easy. I use goat troughs that hang so my flock can't climb into or knock over. shaving for their house helps keep poo off the floor and gives them something soft to lay in,. Depending on ages they can all eat the same feed but again ducklings shouldn't be fed layer. What breed are you getting and ages? and Congrats, you'll have to post pics as soon as you can. also for swimming, anything from cement rubber tub to a plastic kiddie pool works unless you have a nice pond.
Ok got it..AND I will post pics!!!

Back
Top Bottom