The Duck Thread

Hi all! Quick question! Reading all the different spacing needs for ducks have varied so much I'm confused. We have a 12x10 or maybe a 15x10 daytime enclosure on top of grass that we don't use much but will need to use more often during the day. How many ducks would be acceptable in that space just for a few hours up to maybe max 6hrs day. We have a duck house that would be used only at night, and we think it can easily house 6-8 ducks comfortably. We have all lightweight breeds. We plan on placing a kiddie pool, food, water in the enclosure as well. Dog will be around the parameters. We are downsizing due to lack of ability to build additional enclosures. Thanks!

Wow in a 10x16? I must go and measure this pen, my hubby has to be wrong, we wouldn't be able to fit that much in it! I bet it's more of a 9x12 or something odd! Brb

I have read that it should be 10sqft for every duck, seems like thats ok but I've read up to 25sqft per duck. Huge difference. Anyone able to chime in?

I have nine runners and four buffs - small ducks.

We also go for walks together during the day and when I am outside they can roam an additional 400 sf garden.

But some days they must stay in the Day Pen for five or six hours.

Amiga, my sqft is smaller than your enclosure. 6x71/2 I have 2 WH, 5 runners, 1KC that I would like to keep but if the space should only allow 6, I will decrease two more runners.

HELP!!! I had a duck that piped the wrong end on Monday. He didn't make any progress after 24 hours, so I carefully without incident unzipped the shell, leaving the white layer in tact. Over the next couple days he started to make progress, once he got the top of the shell off, he rested for quite awhile, I just noticed he kicked out of the bottom of the shell but I'm not sure if the yolk sac fully receded. There is no blood, but a flesh colored bump, is that normal or is it an unabsorbed yolk sac?
[/URL]
Hard to see anything in the pics, how is the duckling doing this morning, and I am amazed that since you peeled all the shell off the little thing didn't get shrink wrapped into the membrane.

Last edited:
Get an ace bandage and lightly wrap it around the little duckling. This will help her absorb the sack without hurting her. Hang in there, little duckling!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom