The Duck Thread

Very cute, thank you. I will let them out today!

My advice would be to set the same patten/routine for bed time. That way when you do that action, they know what is expected of them. Like my clap, I don't clap at any other time except when it's bed time, so all the chickens, ducks, and geese know what I want. The chickens just don't wanna lose any daylight, lol. The phrase bird brained does NOT apply to them, I have found that ducks and geese are highly intelligent and trainable, more like a dog than a bird really.

So good luck and enjoy your babies!

I just put there food and water by there house at night. That gets them near the house and then they just go in by themself. An hour later I just walk out and shut the door. When they were little the food and water went in with them at night, so I think they just got use to going in to eat. But like I said, we live in town and it's not like we have a huge place for them to go.

Last edited:
We are newbies, we have only had our flocks since spring. We decided to get chickens, ducks, and geese all at once and just jump in. Probably not the brightest idea, but we have learned a lot and really enjoy the animals. I hope to eventually get my flock to the point that they put themselves to bed.

For now though we have devised a method to put everyone away at night. We round the chickens up first because we always have a couple that refuse to be put away. Usually the rebellious chickens will follow the ducks and geese into their coop and we can easily catch and carry them back to their coop. It's much easier than trying to corner the chicken in the yard. They are very fast and agile and it never ends well for the human when chasing a chicken. Chickens are also very smart when it comes to evading capture. But they are flock animals, and once the majority of the chickens are locked in their coop, the few rebellious chickens stick close to the ducks and geese. So we use this flock instinct to make life easier, lol.

After 1st week
My ducks put themselves to bed right when it starts to get dark

Creatures of habit.
smile.png
and that's a good one.

I got two adult male ducks from someone in a trade. They stayed inside their cage for a couple of days. When I started letting them out, I would have to chase them and catch them to put them back in their predator proof cage. After the first day or two of me having to physically put them in their cage, they started to get the idea.

If the cage door was left open, sometimes I would come out to put them away and they were already in bed!

Would like to know if the blackjack rubber would be safe inside a duck coop walls only. I know ducks are more sensitive to odors from chemicals. We have our coop built out of trex decking for outer shell and inside is the pressed composit wood we got for free. Want to protect the walls as the floor is trex that we pop out for cleaning. The idea is to be able to take the hose to it after we remove the floor for each cleaning. And would it make sense to coat the trex flooring or is trex durable enough to withstand all the poo and cleanings for many years to come? Thanks!

Would like to know if the blackjack rubber would be safe inside a duck coop walls only. I know ducks are more sensitive to odors from chemicals. We have our coop built out of trex decking for outer shell and inside is the pressed composit wood we got for free. Want to protect the walls as the floor is trex that we pop out for cleaning. The idea is to be able to take the hose to it after we remove the floor for each cleaning. And would it make sense to coat the trex flooring or is trex durable enough to withstand all the poo and cleanings for many years to come? Thanks!
could you Killz it?

Back
Top Bottom