The Duck Thread

I bought five muscovy ducklings, last weekend, Inoticed within a day or two that one of them was breathing a little heavier, kind of gasping.I did a little reading and suggestions were to add Duramycin to their water. they are in a brooder box with a heat lamp that they can get out from underneath if they get too warm which I have not seen too often, they are not huddling like the cold either so I think the temperature is good. They have a bowl of water to dip their heads and the go in the bath tub at least once daily for a good swim. Today I noticed another duckling seems to be starting with the same symptoms but more mild. Any other suggestions or advice?I'm planning on moving them to a shed where they can have a larger brooder to increase the surface area for it to stay dryer.

I bought five muscovy ducklings, last weekend, Inoticed within a day or two that one of them was breathing a little heavier, kind of gasping.I did a little reading and suggestions were to add Duramycin to their water. they are in a brooder box with a heat lamp that they can get out from underneath if they get too warm which I have not seen too often, they are not huddling like the cold either so I think the temperature is good. They have a bowl of water to dip their heads and the go in the bath tub at least once daily for a good swim. Today I noticed another duckling seems to be starting with the same symptoms but more mild. Any other suggestions or advice?I'm planning on moving them to a shed where they can have a larger brooder to increase the surface area for it to stay dryer.

Are you drying them thoroughly after each bath?

That might be the problem. Even with the heat they could be getting or have hypothermia. They need to be completely dry because they become water logged and get cold VERY easily

X2 on that. Dry them with a warm towel, then place under a heat lamp. Also, make sure when they swim it's in warm water.

I have not....they sit and preen and I put them right back under the heat lamp

pneumonia can easily set in with a situation like that. They are not water resistant and the water clings to their down. The heat and cold will just cause really bad problems. I still dry my month old because they have down on their rumps and bits on their stomach. I give them warm bath inside and let them run around outside and get in the pond (cold) because of the heat. Be careful and I would take them in to see is they have it, I'm not sure of the signs so I couldn't tell you what to look for.

pneumonia can easily set in with a situation like that. They are not water resistant and the water clings to their down. The heat and cold will just cause really bad problems. I still dry my month old because they have down on their rumps and bits on their stomach. I give them warm bath inside and let them run around outside and get in the pond (cold) because of the heat. Be careful and I would take them in to see is they have it, I'm not sure of the signs so I couldn't tell you what to look for.

I did have them swimming in warm water in the bathtub. This afternoon I set up a much larger brooder in the shed and put a cool whip bowl with a lid on it half cut out, so that they can still dunk their heads, but can't swim. They should stay a lot dryer in there. They do have electrolytes in their water and they're on day 3 of antibiotics, we'll see how they do in there.

Just a side note, as a duckling my Muscovy got way more drenched and colder faster then my two anconas, so we didn't have him in the bath long until he started to get some oil on his feathers

Last edited:
I did have them swimming in warm water in the bathtub. This afternoon I set up a much larger brooder in the shed and put a cool whip bowl with a lid on it half cut out, so that they can still dunk their heads, but can't swim. They should stay a lot dryer in there. They do have electrolytes in their water and they're on day 3 of antibiotics, we'll see how they do in there.

I wish you best of luck!!

Hi all, I've been off for a while. My Muscovy Drake has been very buy with the 4 hens I have but I haven't seen any eggs yet, They are approximately 20 to 22 weeks old, could they be laying in the bush? They free range all day, I was going to lock them in for 2 to 3days to see if they will lay. Anyone with experience with older Muscovy tell me at what age I should be expecting eggs?

I also have pekins that I haven't seen eggs either.

Back
Top Bottom