The Duck Thread

That's interesting... Hope someone has more insight... The bobbing just seems " excessive " when they flirt... And that's just my perspective on it.

Yeah she grabbed it and then waddled in place for a good minute. They Bob and nod all the time and have since they got feathers. I'm not sure /:

Our duck's i now call "the couple" Rick and Lauren, do not like fermented feed. All they really want is kitty kibble. And of course allvthe green's from the water hyacinth, lemon tree's & cali lilies. What is your duck's favorites?

My ducks are laying
wee.gif
got one egg day before yesterday and yesterday too, can't wait to get another today.

My guys finally got cold enough to start tucking up a leg, but no cold enough to go in thieir house or to stop getting in the pool. Silly guys would rather be parked in front of my back door in the wind than seek actual shelter. It's a brisk 37 but the wind is COLD.

Last edited:
My guys finally got cold enough to start tucking up a leg, but no cold enough to go in thieir house or to stop getting in the pool. Silly guys would rather be parked in front of my back door in the wind than seek actual shelter. It's a brisk 37 but the wind is COLD.
They gravitate to the one who cares for them. 37 isn't cold for ducks they are wearing down under those feathers.

I actually let mine out of their greenhouse for an hour and a half today because it "warmed up" to around 20 degrees. They were happy to stretch, flap wings and roam about a bit. They are only in the greenhouse until the temperatures stop dropping below zero (as in −15F to −20F). Wind does add to the cold, but I live where there are 20 mph winds a lot. If you just put up some kind of barrier (I use fiberglass panels and attach them to the sides of their pen), they'll be fine. If the pool is open water it's fine—if it's below freezing and the pool is not freezing, they are warmer in the water. This year was an odd one in that the cold came on fast in many places—we had a 45 degree drop in one day, so I did have to protect my ducks more than I had planned on. Once they acclimate, they will be fine. I got them last March and they were always out walking around in the snow!

Back
Top Bottom