The Duck Thread

Hi everyone. I just found a dumped Peking female at the local park. She was thirsty and hungry and is quarantined from my other ducks for now. I intend to keep her and eventually integrate her into my flock, but would like to know if there are any pekin specific problems to watch out for. She isn't scared of us at all and is very sweet. But she's huge! I've only got khaki Campbell's and runner ducks ATM and she seems gigantic by comparison. Her feet and legs seem healthy. No bumblefoot or swelling. But any advice is welcome. Ty in advance.

Hi everyone. I just found a dumped Peking female at the local park. She was thirsty and hungry and is quarantined from my other ducks for now. I intend to keep her and eventually integrate her into my flock, but would like to know if there are any pekin specific problems to watch out for. She isn't scared of us at all and is very sweet. But she's huge! I've only got khaki Campbell's and runner ducks ATM and she seems gigantic by comparison. Her feet and legs seem healthy. No bumblefoot or swelling. But any advice is welcome. Ty in advance.
There is 2 sizes of Pekin Jumbo which is what your new duck maybe and then the reg size Pekin. They are hearty ducks but the jumbo can have leg problems because of their weight, So you'll need to make sure she doesn't get too heavy. So glad you found her and sounds like she has fit right in. Makes you wonder how anyone could dump one doesn't it? Just treat her like one of the rest, and introduce slowly before you know it she'll be right in there with the rest. Pics when you can.

I've got her in our bathtub with food water, and plenty of towels right now. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on her weight. I hope the other ducks will accept her readily.

I'm angry that someone would dump her so close to winter (or at all). She seems so healthy besides being hungry and thirsty, and she knew right away what duck crumble was. My husband and I keep an eye on the local pond and we hadn't seen this duck before, so we grabbed her up and drove her home.

I've got her in our bathtub with food water, and plenty of towels right now. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on her weight. I hope the other ducks will accept her readily.

I'm angry that someone would dump her so close to winter (or at all). She seems so healthy besides being hungry and thirsty, and she knew right away what duck crumble was. My husband and I keep an eye on the local pond and we hadn't seen this duck before, so we grabbed her up and drove her home.

So glad you found her! I don't understand people either. I don't see how a person can just dump any living animal but yet it happens all the time. My avatar are my 2 male pekins and they are the standard size. I wonder if she is a jumbo? I want to say the jumbos start around 10+ lbs for the females but I'm not 100% sure on that as I have never had one. I would love to see her.

tongue2.gif
live vicariously? I'll be jealous come spring though.
Not of me, I have to wait till we have vacancy and my ducks live a long time[which I am thankful about] just can't have any babies till we have room. So I will be living vicariously again this next spring just like I did this past spring and summer it ain't easy either.

Are there any special precautions I need to take when I switch the brand of feed I am going to use?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom