The Duck Thread

Will commercial chicken layer feed work for ducks?
I've read about how starter is different but I don't think I've read anything about layer.
Our Khaki Campbells enjoy the same scratch and lay pellets we buy for our chickens. The protein content is sufficient. We supplement their diets with oyster shell, garden and kitchen scraps, and boiled eggs smashed along with their shells. -DB

Can anyone tell me what's the best bedding for ducklings as well as chicks that doesn't stink? My lucky duck is having feet troubles and I don't know what to do!!
We soaked it in Epsom salt water and cleaned it up and bandaged it but it looks pretty mangled. Right now we're using sand with sweet pzd mixed in but it still stinks and I'm worried about the ducks feet now
1f62d.png

Can anyone tell me what's the best bedding for ducklings as well as chicks that doesn't stink? My lucky duck is having feet troubles and I don't know what to do!!
We soaked it in Epsom salt water and cleaned it up and bandaged it but it looks pretty mangled. Right now we're using sand with sweet pzd mixed in but it still stinks and I'm worried about the ducks feet now
1f62d.png
Have you tried shelf liner. It is grippy and porous and washable. There are lots of brands available this one just happens to be called DUCK Brand: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-...831570&sr=1-2&keywords=drawer+and+shelf+liner

Last edited:
I have a couple of small holes in my pools, I was going to put some gorilla glue or caulk on the outside to seal it. Would either of those be harmful to the ducks? I thought it would be ok since it will be outside the pool where the duck really wouldn't have much contact with it.

I have a couple of small holes in my pools, I was going to put some gorilla glue or caulk on the outside to seal it. Would either of those be harmful to the ducks? I thought it would be ok since it will be outside the pool where the duck really wouldn't have much contact with it.
We mend cracks in our pools with Shoe Goo. It is thick and slightly pliable when "dry." It works very well if applied when the surface is dry and left to cure for 12 hours. -DB

We mend cracks in our pools with Shoe Goo. It is thick and slightly pliable when "dry." It works very well if applied when the surface is dry and left to cure for 12 hours. -DB

Interesting, I had never thought to use that. How long will it last? Do you have to replace it very often? Thanks for the help!

Ok seriously ducklings, how long does it take to hatch?? Its been over 24 hours sense first pip and not one has totally unzipped... I'm starting to understand why there seem to be so many assisted duck hatches.... They sure take their time...
This is normal right?

Back
Top Bottom