The Duck Thread

Well, she was always standoffish with me. Now she REALLY. Doesn't want to have anything to do with me. But if DH has been able to get her to snuggle, that's a good sign. I may still bring her in the house, yet. Just need to get a diaper for her.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and comments on this
smile.png
None of my females want to snuggle and do not like to be picked up I have 7, but my imprinted drake I can pet and pick up and love on anytime I want too. difference his mama rejected him and dh and I took him in and raised him for the first 3 months of his life, so he is very close to us he will be 4 yrs old June 2nd..He spent alot of time outside with the rest of his flock but the imprinting is evidently very strong because he still loves to hang out with us and come in the house and visit. he now has 5 girls of his own and is very happy boy. I think with the rest of mine the fact that they will eat out of my hand is about as good as it's going to get with them. I'm happy with that.
smile.png

Well, she was always standoffish with me. Now she REALLY. Doesn't want to have anything to do with me. But if DH has been able to get her to snuggle, that's a good sign. I may still bring her in the house, yet. Just need to get a diaper for her.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and comments on this :)

I've been reading along, but haven't commented, sometimes just reading everything is a lot! I'm sorry about your male duck. We got a new duck about a month ago now. The two ducks we had weren't very pleased. Are male would attack Jemima (the new duck) non stop. We kept them separate then I started just having the two females spend time together with the male separated. It took awhile, we gave the male to a friend and it still took a few weeks from when we got the new duck for them to get along. The hardest part was watching Jemima getting attacked and alone by herself. The first day she was separated, then the next day I ha them all out for about 30minutes, then locked up the drake do just the two females together for about 30min, then Jemima by herself again. Every day I slowly gave them more time together. After a week they were better, then we gave away the drake, a month later the two ducks are doing great, but it was slow going and I was worried for awhile! Sorry for the rambling! I just have kind of been there and I know it's sad to watch, I feel for you and your poor duckling that lost her friend, but I'm sure she will adjust to the new ducks in time.

Could this be an injury instead of bumble? usually with bumble there is a scab.  So get the colorless iodine and use it on the one that had scabs to finish clearing up the bumble with that one, this one with out scabs needs to be soaked in Epsom salt and warm water daily as often as you can but never let them drink the ES water because it is a laxative and can cause dehydration. And rest which means limited movement till swelling has gone down. Same as with us if we sprain an ankle we use soaks ice and rest till the ankle has healed. I wouldn't use ice on their ankles they probably wouldn't like that but the soaks and rest can be done. and if you can post pics of both ducks legs and feet.
Ok I couldn't find any colorless iodine but I found some brown iodine is brown iodine OK? If so what do I do with it specifically? And the other duck (that had the scabs and stuff) is getting a scab on her GOOD foot and its I tiny bit swollen. How do I stop the infection from spreading more? and she's just weak she barley eats anymore unlike the duck that doesn't have any scabs yet just a swollen foot she's eating perfectly fine. I'm worried about the other duck her infection is spreading and she's weak and barley eats I don't know what to do!

I've been reading along, but haven't commented, sometimes just reading everything is a lot! I'm sorry about your male duck. We got a new duck about a month ago now. The two ducks we had weren't very pleased. Are male would attack Jemima (the new duck) non stop. We kept them separate then I started just having the two females spend time together with the male separated. It took awhile, we gave the male to a friend and it still took a few weeks from when we got the new duck for them to get along. The hardest part was watching Jemima getting attacked and alone by herself. The first day she was separated, then the next day I ha them all out for about 30minutes, then locked up the drake do just the two females together for about 30min, then Jemima by herself again. Every day I slowly gave them more time together. After a week they were better, then we gave away the drake, a month later the two ducks are doing great, but it was slow going and I was worried for awhile! Sorry for the rambling! I just have kind of been there and I know it's sad to watch, I feel for you and your poor duckling that lost her friend, but I'm sure she will adjust to the new ducks in time.

Thank you. She seems interested in the other ducks, and she has definitely decided that my husband is her person. So that's progress :)

Hi I just wanted to share some of my birds

Beautiful birds! :)

lol the jug had to go...well now i still used a jug but just the bottom as a water dish thats deep enough for them to dunk their heads in. they seem to really like it. lately ive been letting them swim in my bathtub and they absolutly loved it. they talk to me and like me there with them. but they dont seem to like the extra company if my husband and toddler are in the room. as ive said the one especially has been very skiddish lately. i noticed today that their yellow fuzz is getting white all through it. Does this mean they are going to start getting their white feathers? according to the store i got them they should only be about three weeks old. i strongly believe they are over a month, they are huge, i wish i could show you pictures. How will they react if i take them outside and let them play or go in the baby pool? Are they going to try and run away?

I have 2 pekin ducklings, Ally and Ellie. I'm not sure how old they are, but they have all their feathers on their bellies, their tail feathers,and some are growing on their back, wings, and face. Anyways, today I moved them outside because I have had to move them into different brooders 4 times. This last time they were living in the shower that we don't use. They are now living outside in the chicken pen inside a small coop we bought from tsc a few years ago for our first chickens (it is one of those mini ones that has an attached run, it is pretty small). They have a heat lamp only for night time or if it is cold outside. It gets into the mid to low forties at night time, so they should be fine as long as they have a heat lamp, right?

Thanks for any help you can give me, these are my first ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom