The Duck Thread

I have 2 pekin ducklings, Ally and Ellie. I'm not sure how old they are, but they have all their feathers on their bellies, their tail feathers,and some are growing on their back, wings, and face. Anyways, today I moved them outside because I have had to move them into different brooders 4 times. This last time they were living in the shower that we don't use. They are now living outside in the chicken pen inside a small coop we bought from tsc a few years ago for our first chickens (it is one of those mini ones that has an attached run, it is pretty small). They have a heat lamp only for night time or if it is cold outside. It gets into the mid to low forties at night time, so they should be fine as long as they have a heat lamp, right?

Thanks for any help you can give me, these are my first ducklings.

Mine were about as feathered as your describing when I moved them into my unheated greenhouse (5 weeks?) I had weaned then off heat in the house before this move. They went through -6C shortly after, I think they had a few night around zero before the really cold nights. About 2 Weeks later they are transitioned outside and all of them are fine, and very happy to free range during the day. They still don't have all their adult plumage, at 7 weeks old they are still working on their wing feathers...

Mine were about as feathered as your describing when I moved them into my unheated greenhouse (5 weeks?) I had weaned then off heat in the house before this move. They went through -6C shortly after, I think they had a few night around zero before the really cold nights. About 2 Weeks later they are transitioned outside and all of them are fine, and very happy to free range during the day. They still don't have all their adult plumage, at 7 weeks old they are still working on their wing feathers...
Thanks! When they lived inside they didn't use a heat lamp at all anymore so I thought if I moved them outside with a lamp they should be fine. I do have another question though.. When do their bills turn bright orange in color? One of them has a slightly orange bill, but the other one still has pink..

Last edited:
Well, she was always standoffish with me. Now she REALLY. Doesn't want to have anything to do with me. But if DH has been able to get her to snuggle, that's a good sign. I may still bring her in the house, yet. Just need to get a diaper for her.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and comments on this
smile.png
Hopefully as she observes you in the house and she's successfully diapered she'll change for the better. But it is a good sign as you said that your husband can snuggle with her. I keep seeing how intelligent and emotive these ducks are. Wonderful beings….

BlooeyBird,
Hennibel is right on. sounds like 4 to 5 weeks to me. Also their bills do change with diet and hormones, but it is not a sure thing. I have Pekin with some pinkish most bright orange bills and one with one so pale you would swear the lil thing is sickly. He is just fine. it is a variety thing. They may not change colour till (if/ when) they start laying. On another note, They should be fine with a heat lamp outside. Just make sure there is PLENTY of room for them to get away from it. They would likely be fine without it, but im a worry wort and would put one up for them so they have the option, especially for drafty rainy days. I have 12 that are just 5 weeks now and leave two lamps on for them, though they usually huddle up in the dog house a meter or so away from them.
Duckies1230 it sounds like your babies are just behind these a week or two. I understand they are huge, They do grow FAST! Sounds like Feathers coming soon! Absolutely introduce them to swimming if you have the time to supervise! make sure they have a way to get out of the water easily to primp up a bit . they love that. Please dont leave them unsupervised & provide a warm dry place for them after 20 or 30 minutes. they cannot regulate their own body temperature at this age and dont know they are cold till its often too late. Short supervised swims with warm primp time after would be perfect.
If your worried about them running off make sure to take a lil bowl full of peas with you. My ducks would do anything for peas. Also Talk and sing to them. lead them. they learn to follow.
Hope some of that helps. I have been doing intense research for months and raising my own. BUT I AM NEW so take all of that with some dose of salt. it is anecdotal at best.

Thanks for replying, I just wanted to make sure they wouldn't be too cold. They are in one of those mini chicken coops that have an attached run so they can go outside whenever they want to get away from the lamp or to play outside. Would it be okay to only have the heatlamp on at night time or should I leave it on all day for them?

During the night they went outside and slept out there... Should I lock them up at night or just let them sleep in the corner they like outside?

During the night they went outside and slept out there... Should I lock them up at night or just let them sleep in the corner they like outside?
All of my birds are locked into secure coops/pens/houses for the night due to extensive predators. Just allow a few to remain outside would, if nothing else, encourage predators to come closer and possible cause havoc. I would suggest locking them up for the evening if possible.

Back
Top Bottom