The Duck Thread

pekin/Rouen cross maybe, very pretty =)
I tend to agree more on the Pekin influence as i had her from among a large Pekin flock. As to which other breed played the contributory part is yet to be determined.
Some have said it could be a mallard, welsh harlequin, silver appleyard, rouen, rouen clair as well as Saxony. I'm looking forward to the ducklings now.

Time for a duck nap ;)

She has the body of a Welsh Harlequin/Mallard, but her head looks like a Saxony to me , with the facial stripes , probably a mix?Whatever she is , she's absolutely beautiful!
love.gif

Edit:Just wanted to add after I looked at the pictures more , it honestly looks like someone transplanted the head of a Saxony female onto the body of a Welsh Harlequin female !
She looks part Rouen to me but ... what do I know. The head itself doesn't look Rouen but some of the coloration does. She has much more color that my WH female.

Just thought I'd post a photo of my younger flock. Come of them will sit on my lap to steal a pea and have decided that cat food isn't a bad treat either.
They are a motley crew but I love them all. I have four more older ones. The two groups have not integrated yet. I keep hoping but they haven't. Glad my duck house has two sections.
They will all eat from my hand but the little gray one is Smoke Freckle Foot.

I use tall, five gallon bucket as extra waterers. Today somehow my full grown drake nearly drown himself in one... Not sure at all what happend just very glad the coop and pen are so close to the house.
My best guesses are, the water level was out of reach, and trying to get to the water he some how fell in the bucket ( he was stuck, head first in the bucket ) or in a panic to get to his hens who had walked to the creek he stumbled in... Any way I'll be changing the water buckets back to a drounding poof version ( back to the hole in the side big enough for a good face wash, with a lid )

Last edited:
you could put a large rock in the bottom of the bucket. Thanks for the warning. I use a couple of buckets in the pen for extra water too. My crew have out grown the waterers I have. They are empty every morning. I like to make sure they have enough for the night. I dont know if a stone would help if they got stuck in there head first though. It might give him something to push against.

I don't have a pic anymore but a giant version of a duckling waterer worked well ( hole in lid or bucket side, then lid on top)... I left the buckets out over winter and they cracked. Free and I can get more, but I really should have stored my summer stuff better :/

I have a muscovy duck and i was wanting to spray for bugs this summer but i don't want to use poison or anything that smells too strong since she lives outside. So i was wondering what everyone else that has ducks uses to keep the bugs away?

I have a muscovy duck and i was wanting to spray for bugs this summer but i don't want to use poison or anything that smells too strong since she lives outside. So i was wondering what everyone else that has ducks uses to keep the bugs away?
every two weeks we let the pond dry up for a week before filling it back up, it keeps the mosquitoes down and let's me harvest good soil for my garden projects so long as I keep at it otherwise the poo builds up to strong and the muck goes into my compost.

Back
Top Bottom