The Duck Thread

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I recently acquired 2 white pekin ducks and their kiddie pool (5ft round by 15" deep) is gross the day after it's filled. Is there a way to filter the water? Don't want to spend more than $50

So far JoJo has been great. Him and Charlie were outside with my 17 month old lil girl (actual human child) lol playing in their own baby pool while I squirted them and my daughter with the hose and the three of them chased each other. It was a Kodak moment, **** my broken camera. After Ryleigh's diaper came off and I was done letting her be a jungle child they came inside. And JoJo and Charlie are in their freshly cleaned pen and I just gave them watermelon and raspberries cut up with Brewer's yeast on top. So far so good... Thanks for all the great advice everyone!!!
1f425.png
1f49e.png
1f6bc.png

Framing on the coop is done , and boy this thing is huge!It could fit three times the ducks we are going to put in it , but it seemed more economical to keep it close to standard lumber sizes , so we have LOTS of room to grow ;) I am so in love with my babies , except for one small thing:they are poop machines :th
I never knew how.much waste 6 little ducklings could produce...buuuuut they do make up for it in cuteness :D They love their pool so much...they get a bath every day in their kiddie pool outside , which many June bugs drown in and make very good little snacks for them.All the dragonflies and damselflies fly over to try to get to the water , and the ducklings chase them off , but today one of them snagged a damselfly!I don't want to drag on about how wonderful they are , and I'll try to post some pictures , but I have to go through my camera and the computer because my phone won't let me post :/

Last edited:
Lol, my husband complains about how much poop mess 2 make I don't think he could handle 6. My toddler chases them around outside and if she even touches anything of theirs, he comes running with antibacterial soap and sanitizer! Its driving me crazy! He acts like she is going to get the plague from my ducks... But its not causing a divorce so I guess it's OK.,.lol...

ya know farm folk don't get as sick as they were exposed to germs and able to develop immunity to them lol. I only have 2 ducks but have 16 chickens too. Dang good thing the compost heap is in the pasture lol. couldn't imagine what it would be to clean a commercial place lol

Last edited:
Lol, my husband complains about how much poop mess 2 make I don't think he could handle 6. My toddler chases them around outside and if she even touches anything of theirs, he comes running with antibacterial soap and sanitizer! Its driving me crazy! He acts like she is going to get the plague from my ducks... But its not causing a divorce so I guess it's OK.,.lol...

Loool , when I have to clean their brooder(every.single.day)I have to put them in the bin they grew out of , and there are no shavings so I have to clean up everytime they go , so of course they ALL go once every 2 minutes...with 6 that boils down to cleaning every 20 seconds...sure motivates me to get done quicker!After using 10 washups and felling like scrubbing my hands with tons of soap , I just want to put them in the kiddie pool and not worry about it , but they are still so little (1week old tomorrow)I don't want to risk a hawk or a crazy owl snatching one!

here is an idea, play pen turned upside down over the kiddie pool for them.

we go with ours when they or on the water or leave the dog watching them, the boxer don't like anybody messing with his birds lol

Loool , when I have to clean their brooder(every.single.day)I have to put them in the bin they grew out of , and there are no shavings so I have to clean up everytime they go , so of course they ALL go once every 2 minutes...with 6 that boils down to cleaning every 20 seconds...sure motivates me to get done quicker!After using 10 washups and felling like scrubbing my hands with tons of soap , I just want to put them in the kiddie pool and not worry about it , but they are still so little (1week old tomorrow)I don't want to risk a hawk or a crazy owl snatching one!
yea it don't get any easier. Due to everything, mine are still inside, my husband built a pen and its about a foot off the ground, the only thing that has bedding is the box where they sleep besides that chicken wire and on the floor is plastic, on top of that I have pet training pads I change once or twice daily depending on whether they have time outside, or go in the basement with their pool which still requires daily cleaning so its at least $20 or more a week on pet training pads lol I feel its never ending but I love them so it's worth it, just thinking of maybe having to do this daily for twenty yrs is exhausting!!! Lol working 40 hrs a week or more, raising a toddler and raising 2 basically indoor toddler ducks lol I believe my sanity is slowly slipping away lol seriously

Last edited:
yea it don't get any easier. Due to everything, mine are still inside, my husband built a pen and its about a foot off the ground, the only thing that has bedding is the box where they sleep besides that chicken wire and on the floor is plastic, on top of that I have pet training pads I change once or twice daily depending on whether they have time outside, or go in the basement with their pool which still requires daily cleaning so its at least $20 or more a week on pet training pads lol I feel its never ending but I love them so it's worth it, just thinking of maybe having to do this daily for twenty yrs is exhausting!!! Lol working 40 hrs a week or more, raising a toddler and raising 2 basically indoor toddler ducks lol I believe my sanity is slowly slipping away lol seriously
mine decided the chicken coop was fine for them as the duckling was raised in the brooder with the chicks and didn't wanna be separated from them. We raised the floor using pallets and put plastic cardboard down then toss either straw or pine shavings down, makes it nice and easy, clean it out once a day without smelling to bad and wheelbarrow it to the compost heap.

Back
Top Bottom