The Duck Thread

We had the official "clipping of the wings" this evening, since Mocha decided she was going to try to get airborne the other day. She didn't get very high off the ground, but I'm guessing with a running start she might be able to clear the fence (it's just over 3 feet high) and get out of her pen. She'd still be in the back yard with 6' high privacy fencing, but if my dogs were outside it could be bad. I don't think they'd hurt one of the ducks on purpose, but they'd get excited and chase and stuff. Someone would get hurt.

All of my ducks think I'm horrible now. Abba and Harley wouldn't even come and take peas from me. Mocha didn't care, though. If I have peas, she is THERE. That duck loves her greens.

I have been wondering if I should clip my mallard duck's wings. She has started flying and keeps getting out of the pen, and while she doesn't want to get very far from her friends, I do worry that a dog will get her :/

[COLOR=333333]Would you have stood by and watched the same attack on a puppy by an adult dog?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]There is nothing natural about keeping fowl in runs.  It is up to us to observe and manage our flocks to determine when something is not right and take steps to correct problems.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]If you, "LoveThemBirds," as your screen name indicates you will study, read and implement good Animal Husbandry practices to prevent injury to the flock-mates in your care.[/COLOR]

Live and learn, LoveThemBirds.

On a related note, I keep turkeys. I have three hens and one tom, who has gotten very aggressive lately. He keeps coming after me and his days are numbered. The other day I caught him trouncing one of the hens while she cowered on the ground and squealed, and it was definitely not mating. I am not someone who can stand by and watch this sort of thing, no matter if the birds are wild or domestic. I went after him with the garden hoe I had in hand at the moment. The only reason he's still alive is because he got away from me, as I intended to break his neck
1f621.png
Call me a nut, I don't care. I can't stand to see one of my babies being hurt. Sorry kind of venting. (ETA - Not chewing you out, LoveThemBirds. Sorry if it sounded that way)

Last edited:
Oh my... so much going on that I've missed the past few weeks. Hard to keep up on who posts what.

Happy to see most of you are enjoying your ducks, and sorry for those having troubles. If i were to individualize,this post would be sooo long.
there are however at least two I feel I must comment on as they stick out in my head...

I hope that the one who found the wood duckling has found a rescue to place it in. From my understanding wood ducks do not acclimate well to being domesticated. And as others have stated, of course he follows you. He is young and has been abandoned...again I hope he's found a good forever home.

@LoveThemBirds, just my two cents... I definitely would have handled the situation differently. But as quite a few others have stated sternly and maybe even been a bit harsh, I choose not to go into the matter much further.
BUT if you knew something was amiss and tried to shoo them away through the fence, why did you not go the extra step and go inside the run to physically separate the two? I agree with most of the others and would not have been able to stand by while one of my babies we're getting raped...even if I thought it was a part of nature. Drakes can be very aggressive...
I do hope things get better for you and yours, and that you've learned from the experience and have taken measures to ensure the safety of your girls.

Oh... @City farm your two are adorable! They look like one of mine. What is the breed?!

On a lighter note! My flock is doing amazing. I've posted on 2 other threads. Here are the links if y'all care to check it out. Lots of pictures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742668/pekin-duck-club/5880#post_15345142

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632070/show-off-your-house-ducks/2280#post_15343339

Here are just a couple of pics anyway. Lol.

I have 2 three week old black Cayuga ducklings...they seem to lay down a lot...they're not sick , eating / drinking /pooing normal, but it just seems like they should be walking/running around around more than they do...i never had ducks before so is this normal or is something wrong?
They are eating purina chick start and grow NON medicated. Ive read i should give them niacin & it's 100mg/gal but how often should i give it? Daily, every other day, once a week?

My ducklings are always either napping or eating and splashing =)

So my duck had 9 eggs and I thought they would be fertile but since she's a Muscovy duck it takes 35 days & all the sudden her eggs started disappearing & there is no predator around, (we don't live in a desert area or place with wild animals ) and today her ducklings were supposed to be born, and I looked in her nest and she only has 3 eggs & she was eating the 4th one.. Is that normal ?

Do you handle them when they are young?

I handle them enough that they're not afraid of me and some of them will climb in my lap given the chance but I'm more of a hands off duck lover, they all get a once over if I notice one that needs attention or when I move them or pen them. And I have to duck, dive and dodge to get back to the house without the whole flock following me. I do try to spend a little extra time with the runners to counter their highstrung personalities =)

I am getting worried about my trio of ducks. I'm 99% sure I have two drakes and one duck, which presents a huge problem when they get ready to start breeding. I will have to separate someone from the other two, which will leave me with a very unhappy ducky. I can't bear to get rid of either of my boys. My Cayuga is so pretty, but my Pekin is big and soft and easier to handle. However I think I will be forced to rehome one or the other, and it's going to be a sad day :( I envy those of you on here who can have more than two or three ducks! And I miss my mallard boy.

Back
Top Bottom