The Duck Thread

Oh, I want one! Problem is I'm very technologically challenged so I probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to operate the thing.
idunno.gif

I'm going to have to look into one. I'm with Debs Flock on this too, technologically challenged!

They aren't that difficult. Easy menus, and once you get it set up, its really easy. You just remove the SD card, stick it in the computer and look through the pics. I have multiple cards, so I just swap them out each week, or whenever I get around to it.

So sorry about your duckling! You did everything you could.
I have lost 2 ducklings at 3 weeks from eye infections and incubated 9 jersey giant chicken eggs and only one hatched out only to die a week later from a bummed leg. This is all in the last 3 months. We have a small homestead because I can't handle the way animals are treated in mainstream farming and yet when chicks die before a hatch or animals pass away it makes me feel like giving up meat completely. I know it's a part of life but it's a hard to come to terms with sometimes!

I know the feeling! I'm very bummed today because I have a 2-week old beautiful little frizzled bantam cochin that has a leg problem that I have been unable to fix. I don't want to put her down, but I can't let her live this way either. She was hopping around on one leg for the first week, but now she just drags herself around the brooder on her belly. Its breaking my heart.... I've tried multiple sling chairs, banding her legs, I just don't know what else to do.

So sorry about your duckling! You did everything you could.
I have lost 2 ducklings at 3 weeks from eye infections and incubated 9 jersey giant chicken eggs and only one hatched out only to die a week later from a bummed leg. This is all in the last 3 months. We have a small homestead because I can't handle the way animals are treated in mainstream farming and yet when chicks die before a hatch or animals pass away it makes me feel like giving up meat completely. I know it's a part of life but it's a hard to come to terms with sometimes!

Our ducks started completely accidentally, someone dumped a duck in our pond... Neighbors were nice enough to give us a pair to keep her company... Duck math begun! I've lost numerous animals over the years; age, sickness, predation.... It never gets easier. We are keeping up the ducks for similar reasons to yours. I haven't bought meat from a supermarket in years, and won't! My husband hunts every year, and I've told him, another word for "bad hunter " is "vegetarian"!

Well said... I've had many chances to play around with this and have figured out that even when they don't have a blockage that they do much better with just fluids until they pass their first poops. First poop: Well, when my next egg hatches, I am going to be very happy to share first poop pics! I think that I won't save it in a baby book, but a pic will do! -Kathy

Back
Top Bottom