The Duck Thread

I have an awful dilemma.

We currently live in a manufactured home on a very small piece of land, and are finally able to afford to purchase something better. I hate manufactured homes. So cheaply built and hard to find parts to repair when things go wrong. Plus, they depreciate over the years like a car, not like a stick-built house.

My dilemma: In our price range, we can either afford a small piece of farmland with a manufactured home on it, or a NICE house in a subdivision. With an HOA and covenants and no ducks.

I am so torn. I have a really good home for the ducks to go if they need to, so I'm not worried about them, but DARN IT I wanted land AND a decent house. We still haven't decided, but I'm leaning to having a nice house. I never thought I'd be able to afford a nice house. BUT MY DUCKS.

/sigh

Am I a bad duck mom for wanting a nice house? :(

No Kaessa, not at all. Please don't ever think that. You deserve a nice home, and how wonderful for you that it's within your grasp! My suggestion is, just keep looking. It'll take a while, but you're bound to hit upon that once in a lifetime deal that'll be the best of both worlds. It may have to be a fixer upper, but I'm sure that it'll be worth it to have your home, AND your ducks!

I have an awful dilemma.

We currently live in a manufactured home on a very small piece of land, and are finally able to afford to purchase something better. I hate manufactured homes. So cheaply built and hard to find parts to repair when things go wrong. Plus, they depreciate over the years like a car, not like a stick-built house.

My dilemma: In our price range, we can either afford a small piece of farmland with a manufactured home on it, or a NICE house in a subdivision. With an HOA and covenants and no ducks.

I am so torn. I have a really good home for the ducks to go if they need to, so I'm not worried about them, but DARN IT I wanted land AND a decent house. We still haven't decided, but I'm leaning to having a nice house. I never thought I'd be able to afford a nice house. BUT MY DUCKS.

/sigh

Am I a bad duck mom for wanting a nice house? :(
What about a foreclosure? We got our house (yeah it needs work but nothing serious) for cheap cheap.

What about a foreclosure? We got our house (yeah it needs work but nothing serious) for cheap cheap.

We've been looking, but haven't found anything good in the foreclosure market. Not much land available, but a glut of houses in subdivisions that are right in our price range.I've looked at a LOT of houses lately, and I'm working with a fantastic realtor who is also a good friend so she knows exactly what I want. Going to buy soon, though, before d interest rates go back up. Then we have to sell the current house after we fix it up a bit.

Still looking for a nice little piece of land, though. I'd miss my ducks.

We've been looking, but haven't found anything good in the foreclosure market. Not much land available, but a glut of houses in subdivisions that are right in our price range.I've looked at a LOT of houses lately, and I'm working with a fantastic realtor who is also a good friend so she knows exactly what I want. Going to buy soon, though, before d interest rates go back up. Then we have to sell the current house after we fix it up a bit.

Good luck!! House hunting can be both fun and stressful! We kept missing really good ones by a day. Grr.

Kaessa, I don't like manufactured housing, mostly for the reason you mentioned, but I'd do that on a nice piece of property where I could build a house I wanted before I'd buy something in a subdivision with an HOA. If you stick with the search, you'll probably find something you like at a price you can afford. Interest rates on home loans aren't likely to go up signficantly anytime soon, meaning this year or in Q1 2016.

Oi, no kidding about the HOA thing...this is my first home, and I regret every day that there's an HOA. The people that run those things are pretty much just failed politicians, only they're just as corrupt and power-hungry!

Maybe you could invest in some land instead? If you're willing to put the time and energy into it, you could build your own home. That's my ultimate goal, to buy a lovely plot and build a lovely little adobe cottage on it!

Oi, no kidding about the HOA thing...this is my first home, and I regret every day that there's an HOA. The people that run those things are pretty much just failed politicians, only they're just as corrupt and power-hungry!

Maybe you could invest in some land instead? If you're willing to put the time and energy into it, you could build your own home. That's my ultimate goal, to buy a lovely plot and build a lovely little adobe cottage on it!

Yes, sad as it is, they really are politicians who don't hold an official political office. I feel for you that you live in a place where you're subject to one of those.
hugs.gif

My holderread lines WH hatching eggs just arrived in the mail and they all look great :weee Now my two holderread ducklings will have some girlfriends in four weeks, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom