The Duck Thread

Introducing your chicken ducks to you 2 Pekins needs to be done slowly and if possible through some type of fencing so they can get use to each other and no one picks on the other, as for the large lake only problem I see with a large body of water is snapping turtles please please please make sure you don't have them, go to You Tube and check out how to find out if you do and how to get rid of them, they will rip out flesh  and bite off feet  of water fowl I would be heart broken for you if that happened to any of yours, and if you don't think snappers do this go again to you tube and look up snapping turtles and water fowl. Pretty graphic though. and we have many here who have lost or had injured their ducks and geese by them.

Welcome to BYC!!

Thanks for the welcome! Actually we do have snapping turtles, and have been setting traps or shooting them (my 74 yr old Korean neighbor gets a kick out of going after them with her .22!). The ducks will ONLY stay in the shallows, they are spooky and won't go out in main water. Would it be ok to just leave the ducks in with the chickens? They all get along fine
1f60a.png

its not going to hurt them if it's been 20 minutes just decrease it. Do not try and cool down the eggs it will cause harm with the drastic temp change.
i went and got a new incubator. Got it to the correct temp. It held the temp and i transfered the eggs to it. Thank you though, thats a wieght off my mind.

Quote: The only problem leaving them with the chickens is if your drake decides he wants to mate with one of your hens, that will be a death sentence for her Ducks and Chickens are not made anatomically to mate. Has your 2 Anconas ever been out side their run do you ever let everyone free range so the 4 ducks would meet in a more common area? I think your drake would like having 3 lady ducks to be with. But they would still need to be it introduced slowly over several days. Good for you taking care of the snappers, has your neighbor made turtle soup yet?

Ugh, I get a variation of that joke, like, once a day. It's not funny, it's not original, and it's like...how would your neighbor feel if you walked up to him and said "Nice dog! Bet he'd feed a whole family over at the local Chinese restaurant!"

I give up. I won't do this anymore. You're right that it's not funny, it's not cute, it's not clever, and it's certainly not original. I will not subject myself to this anymore.

I was just in a meeting where ducks with bbq sauce and other things came up 3 different times, and it wasn't because I brought it up. I'm really glad I work from home and this was a conference call, because I'm crying right now. I honestly don't think any of these people mean to be cruel, but they just run it into the ground and don't seem to have anything to say or ask about them if it doesn't have something to do with using them as food. I cannot, and will not, take anymore of this.

I weighed some options to eliminate this problem and decided what to do. I removed all my nice ducks pics from my company profile, I removed any mention of ducks from my interests on my profile, and I will say in any future meeting where it comes up that we don't have ducks anymore and that we rehomed them because of time constraints or something I won't have to figure out until Monday. No more duck conversations. I'm done with it. I can't take it, and I'm very, very sorry that you don't have a choice since your situation is different from mine.

I give up. I won't do this anymore. You're right that it's not funny, it's not cute, it's not clever, and it's certainly not original. I will not subject myself to this anymore.

I was just in a meeting where ducks with bbq sauce and other things came up 3 different times, and it wasn't because I brought it up. I'm really glad I work from home and this was a conference call, because I'm crying right now. I honestly don't think any of these people mean to be cruel, but they just run it into the ground and don't seem to have anything to say or ask about them if it doesn't have something to do with using them as food. I cannot, and will not, take anymore of this.

I weighed some options to eliminate this problem and decided what to do. I removed all my nice ducks pics from my company profile, I removed any mention of ducks from my interests on my profile, and I will say in any future meeting where it comes up that we don't have ducks anymore and that we rehomed them because of time constraints or something I won't have to figure out until Monday. No more duck conversations. I'm done with it. I can't take it, and I'm very, very sorry that you don't have a choice since your situation is different from mine.
Rather that go to all the bother making your ducks invisable to your job why not just tell them..."As most of you know I raise ducks and they are my pets. What you are saying makes me uncomfortable and is hurtful to me. I would appreciate it if you would keep your sad attempts at humor out of meeting that I am at."

Rather that go to all the bother making your ducks invisable to your job why not just tell them..."As most of you know I raise ducks and they are my pets. What you are saying makes me uncomfortable and is hurtful to me. I would appreciate it if you would keep your sad attempts at humor out of meeting that I am at."

Because it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom