The Duck Thread

Yeah we had em all set up with a bulb and a kiddie pool with hay, feeders, etc. I ordered them 2 months ago and I was waiting for them so eagerly and happy. I even cooked some rice for them yesterday.

I really just can't figure it out. We have that 1cm mesh wire stuff all around. The carpenter that helps us out said his idea is to pull all the floor and rebuild. I think we just should stop trying to patch this up and build from 0 again. This coop was in when we moved in and we patched up every hole we could find, but this thing has taken 1bantam, 3duck fertile eggs and 3 chicken fertile eggs (we mark them) my 4 muscovy babies that were hatched/born here, killed 1 chicken and now all these new babies.

My husband is lining a wire kennel with mesh and we are going to keep the new babies we get here in the porch (right out the door from our room)

I was looking into ordering some more right now but I'm just getting sad looking at the pics and thinking about my chickies and ducklings. We thought our girls had stopped laying so much but now that we have seen the marked eggs dissappear i think whatever it is its taking our eggs. I'm afraid it'll attack our adult birds if it doesn't find eggs

I had something getting in my coop eating eggs! I put 2 live traps in the coop and baited it with eggs...caught a possum! I also fixed all the holes i could find after i caught it and piled rocks in the holes along the ground that i thought something might be able to get in...just to see if any of the rocks got moved...plus if it does get thru, i will know where! So far none of the rocks have been moved and nothing else has gotten in!

Deep so. Texas, we have everything, mostly black garden snakes, the kind that eat rattlers, rattlers and water snakes.

My cat kills a rat almost every day, the ranch is right next to a corn field

U might try putting moth balls out around ur coop! Not inside as the strong scent might not be good for ur birds but around the outside should be fine! Theyre an inexpensive way to ward off snakes and rodents...and probably several other predators because they r so strong smelling! We use them in our garden and at our creek spot where we camp!

We use a product called Ortho Snake-B-Gone that has worked for us. It is safe around birds and dogs and children. Just essential oils in a inert base that you sprinkle around the area you want to protect. It works by confusing the snakes smelling ability and the snake slithers away.

A lot of people have recommended this. Our house sits in a like a triangle with the chicken pen and the duck pen. It might be too expensive for us to treat the perimeter. There are rattlesnake dens all around us plus I think they are coming up from the cracks in the ground. I would be afraid of some being inside our perimeter if we put it down
hmm.png

I don't know if we should strip the coop and rebuild or just bring the whole thing down and build a new one. This is so frustrating and sad. We're all edgy and sad right now...

I do believe every poultry farmer has had something similar to this happen to them ..

If you post some photos of your coop you will definitely get some feed back good and bad but it will all be helpful in the end .....

Anyone ever have their ducks laying eggs in the pond? Not by it, right in the water...
About every few weeks I will do my regular dump the pool to clean it and an egg or two will roll out with the muck and mud.

But, I have also watch as they walk across their field and just drop an egg as they walk without paying any attention to it at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom