The Duck Thread

I've noticed my KC drake and Swedish hens flying more lately. Could this be due to the time of year that it is?? It's really sad to see them take off and leave the Pekins on the ground.

I've noticed my KC drake and Swedish hens flying more lately. Could this be due to the time of year that it is?? It's really sad to see them take off and leave the Pekins on the ground.
If your worried they may fly off or land in a back yard with dogs you might want to clip one wing.

If your worried they may fly off or land in a back yard with dogs you might want to clip one wing.

We live in the country and have no neighbors, thank God
smile.png
So no worries there. I should have mentioned the times that I've seen them flying, it's always into their pond. I am a bit worried about them flying off though.

We live in the country and have no neighbors, thank God
smile.png
So no worries there. I should have mentioned the times that I've seen them flying, it's always into their pond. I am a bit worried about them flying off though.
We don't have neighbors either thank goodness, but we have a mountain river down below us so I clip one wing on my Muscovy's because I know ducks love to fly and I would have a hard time getting them back if they flew down to the river and I would be heart broken.

Last edited:
I noticed my pekin laying down today...beside her pool which i thought was a little weird too! Then a little while later she was sleeping in the pool!

It may just be cuz it's the first time shes actually been able to float in her pool...usually its on a hill so only half full because my hose won't reach and i either bucket water to it or fill it and drag it around the house! And I was keeping it in the shade but since its been cooler out i decided to put it out in the sun on flatter land!

We live in the country and have no neighbors, thank God:)   So no worries there.  I should have mentioned the times that I've seen them flying, it's always into their pond.  I am a bit worried about them flying off though.

When my american buff geese get really excited, they can get some air - almost up to my chest. It's actually startling. They can't actually get anywhere though and they glide right back down after they calm down.

So here's a question for any geese people - anyone heard of a bantam american buff goose? They're supposed to be quite large, but my two are not even as big as my roman tufted. They are still juveniles born earlier this year but I've had them for months now and haven't really noticed any growth. I got them when they were supposedly two months old.

I noticed my pekin laying down today...beside her pool which i thought was a little weird too! Then a little while later she was sleeping in the pool!

It may just be cuz it's the first time shes actually been able to float in her pool...usually its on a hill so only half full because my hose won't reach and i either bucket water to it or fill it and drag it around the house! And I was keeping it in the shade but since its been cooler out i decided to put it out in the sun on flatter land!

My male pekin always sleeps in his pool! And my female pekin lays beside the pool while he's in it. Its a daily thing, no worries!

Back
Top Bottom