The Duck Thread

Two of these are Anconas, I'm told, the other two I'm not sure... Any thoughts?

Oh my, what precious children!!! Lol. I can't wait to expand my flock especially with some Anacondas!!!! They are beautiful ducks you have!
1f60d.png
1f44d.png
1f44f.png

I noticed my pekin laying down today...beside her pool which i thought was a little weird too! Then a little while later she was sleeping in the pool!

It may just be cuz it's the first time shes actually been able to float in her pool...usually its on a hill so only half full because my hose won't reach and i either bucket water to it or fill it and drag it around the house! And I was keeping it in the shade but since its been cooler out i decided to put it out in the sun on flatter land!
she is a sweetheart in there. Love her.

Right now, lily is sitting on 17 eggs in her nest, leaving it to go outside for an hour or just to eat. She's still laying an egg daily sometimes 2. She let's me pick up the eggs, I candled them and they all look like normal edible eggs except 4. I can see the bullseye in those, its bigger and darker. One covers at least have the egg. So is she hatching them or how do u know if their going bad? They don't look like rotten eggs. This is my first experience with a laying duck and lily is a pekin which I thought didn't go broody. I mean, its possible. I just don't know what I'm looking for. Should I separate my drake? Its just lily and JoJo. Advice please, lol!

I thought they were supposed to stop laying once they go broody!?!

They usually do :) But if you have other ducks, they might lay in her nest, so it's a good idea to mark the eggs she starts with so you can take out any new ones that appear. And if she's laying new eggs, which it sounds like she is, you'll want to take those too because she won't stay on the nest to hatch them after the first eggs hatch. My pekin has gone broody twice this year, so they definitely do go broody, but it's a rare trait in pekins. You can tell if they are going bad by candling them - dead embryos are very apparent compared to their live counterparts. Any that die you take from the nest and toss out. Here is a candling chart for you so you can see what you're looking for:

Last edited:
They usually do
smile.png
But if you have other ducks, they might lay in her nest, so it's a good idea to mark the eggs she starts with so you can take out any new ones that appear. And if she's laying new eggs, which it sounds like she is, you'll want to take those too because she won't stay on the nest to hatch them after the first eggs hatch. My pekin has gone broody twice this year, so they definitely do go broody, but it's a rare trait in pekins. You can tell if they are going bad by candling them - dead embryos are very apparent compared to their live counterparts. Any that die you take from the nest and toss out. Here is a candling chart for you so you can see what you're looking for:
Did your Pekins' eggs hatch? I had two go broody last year but in trying to move them to safer places, they abandoned.

Did your Pekins' eggs hatch?  I had two go broody last year but in trying to move them to safer places, they abandoned.

She would have, but both times ravens broke into her nest and destroyed all the eggs :( The first time, she was so close there was a perfectly formed duckling left over after the attack, just about ready to hatch. It would have been so cute, it was all yellow with a little black tail :(

Back
Top Bottom