The Duck Thread

I recently posted a picture of my rouen duck because he was missing feathers on his butt and someone said he was molting but today I flipped him over to see and this is what it looks like, the other duck does not have this problem, can someone please tell me whats wrong Thanks
[/IMG]

Is this the healthy duck and the next picture is the unhealthy?

Hey there, posting a pic of a post I put up elsewhere so save from retyping! Seems the thread I tried, hasn't been active in a while. 8
@Tlearn98 I have Muscovy's and they fly I clip one wing on each duck every year after they molt in the fall keeps them home and safe I do not think wing clipping is terrible.
In winter ducks need a place to sleep at night out of the weather that is draft free but still have great ventilation. We all use different sources of bedding mine I like is deep shavings. others use straw some hay just depends on your preference, They will need a water source that doesn't freezer up on them I like heated buckets {TSC} is one source. I wouldn't put them inside though or you'll have a frozen mess on the floor. Unless you can figure out a way to drain off the water that they splash out. They won't need heat if you provide them with a good hut which sounds like you are doing. Ducks are pretty cold hardy . Good wholesome feed and some nice dried meal worms and some whole corn in the afternoon to give them warmth overnight in inside their bodies and they should do fine. They really don't need bathing water but on nicer days giving them some kind of pan large enough they can splash around in would make them happy I use a cement mixing pan. Maybe some pics of you lil family members would be nice..

Last edited:
@miss lydia i see missing feathers on his bottom and theyre kinda dirty and that thing sticking out is his male part haha and @Tlearn98 yes that is the healthy duck, this is the one with the problem

@miss lydia i see missing feathers on his bottom and theyre kinda dirty and that thing sticking out is his male part haha and @Tlearn98 yes that is the healthy duck, this is the one with the problem
Does his male part stay out or does it go back in when he is standing normal? Prolapsed penis needs to be taken care of by washing him off real good and applying some kind of antibiotic salve with out Pain relief to keep the skin moist Can you bath him or let him soak in some warm water and see what he looks like after that? Have you noticed anyother of your ducks messing with him or him messing with himself?

It probably goes in because ive never seen it before but hes also lying up side down so that makes it come out more and no he acts completly normal like the other duck he runs swims flaps his wings eats and everything. What i think is that when he pooped the poop stayed on his feathers and maybe got stuck there and hes been trying to clean him self but the feathers get ruined

@OldMissionChick
    How is the duckling doing in with your older chicks. I would be hesitant to put a newly hatched duckling in with chicks period, I hope things are going okay.  and Congrats. 

They are doing great. Earlier I put new duckie named Hunter in a clear plastic salad container (no lid on it of course) so it could gain its strength. Now they are all sleeping in a pile together :)
2 eggs zipping, 2 others are pipped and 3 more taking their time

I put the bottom portion of a corner standup shower in the coop for the waterer to sit in :)
That is a nice coop and great idea. do you have freezing temps in winter do you think the water spilled will freeze in there?
They are doing great. Earlier I put new duckie named Hunter in a clear plastic salad container (no lid on it of course) so it could gain its strength. Now they are all sleeping in a pile together
smile.png

2 eggs zipping, 2 others are pipped and 3 more taking their time
I am glad for you it worked out, we've had members before whose ducklings got pecked badly from being in with older chicks just wanted to make sure your lil one is doing well lil Hunter what a sweet name. Look forward to seeing them once they all hatch or anytime you want to share. We'll even look at chicks. lol

That is a nice coop and great idea. do you have freezing temps in winter do you think the water spilled will freeze in there? 
I am glad for you it worked out, we've had members before whose ducklings got pecked badly from being in with older chicks just wanted to make sure your lil one is doing well lil Hunter what a sweet name. Look forward to seeing them once they all hatch or anytime  you want to share. We'll even look at chicks. lol

yes it gets pretty cold up here on the 45th parallel. Last winter and 2 weeks of -20*. Fingers crossed it doesn't get that cold again. I want to put a grate in it to elevate it so they aren't walking in over splash.

Here's Hunter and the chickens

And #2 just hatched.

yes it gets pretty cold up here on the 45th parallel. Last winter and 2 weeks of -20*. Fingers crossed it doesn't get that cold again. I want to put a grate in it to elevate it so they aren't walking in over splash.

Here's Hunter and the chickens

And #2 just hatched.
Well I guess it does I just noticed your in Northern Michigan.. Brrr. Hunter is going to have a buddy soon.. Congrats on #2

Back
Top Bottom