The Duck Thread

My temp is 99.5. Having trouble getting the humidity to 40-45%. How do you get it that low and keep the temp up?

Well, I always start by running dry and then I raise it. The larger the surface area of your water holder the higher the humidity. I use Tupperware shallow bowls. Kind of like the school kid sandwich holders.... If my humidity is too high, I use a container with a smaller mouth (shot glass). When o first start though, I run dry for 24 hours. I don't know if that helps or not, and there's other hatchers that do differently.... Oh, and I don't use the water holders in the bottom of the bator, I can't seem to control it as easily. In my styro bator I use a 1 cup measuring cup for water. The surface area seems to be right....

Does anyone keep their ducks inside when it gets below freezing, or should they be okay?
I have some ducks who do not do well below freezing, so everyone comes in where it stays above 40F.

That's for night time. If it's sunny and 30F, they are outside, even down to about 25F, but I watch them and if anyone shows signs of being too chilly, in we go.

Last edited:
Heres a pic of my babies. The oldest duckling is a week old today
1f619.png
1f619.png

Back
Top Bottom