The Duck Thread

Hi guys!

I've got a question, and I thought i'll just post it here since you all know your duck facts haha
smile.png

I once read that if you hold your duck upside down it will die.
Is this true, and if it is, why?

Would love to hear the answer!

Sam

If it's true then Wobbles woulda been dead about 8 billion times over by now. The guy trips over his own two webs and winds up on his back like a turtle! You don't get more upside-down than that! If you mean like, holding them vertically, bill-down, it's not fatal by itself but it's definitely not a good idea to hold them like that because gravity + stress could cause whatever they last ate to come back up through their esophagus and then they risk inhaling it, which could asphyxiate the bird or lead to pneumonia. So all in all, just don't do it.

Very nice looking duckies

Thank you.  My first attempt at hatching eggs. It was rough, lol

My first time was not good either. We let one female go broody. Big mistake bc both females I had at the time started laying in one nest. Of course I didn't know which egg belonged to whom. Together they laid like 27 eggs and both sat on them. We got 4 hatched out of them all, and 3 survived. I said never again will I let ducks go broody.We kept the 3-2 drakes and a female. They all get along great and 6 are enough for us bc we don't have much land. I'm sorry you had a rough time but those babies are downright adorable. I also had no clue how fast they grow. Learned a lot this year about ducks. Mine are WH. What are yours?

Last edited:
If it's true then Wobbles woulda been dead about 8 billion times over by now. The guy trips over his own two webs and winds up on his back like a turtle! You don't get more upside-down than that! If you mean like, holding them vertically, bill-down, it's not fatal by itself but it's definitely not a good idea to hold them like that because gravity + stress could cause whatever they last ate to come back up through their esophagus and then they risk inhaling it, which could asphyxiate the bird or lead to pneumonia. So all in all, just don't do it.

Thanks for the answer!
That makes sense :)

My duck can be really clumsy, so sometimes when I pick him up he will start trying to fly and after a struggle to hold him (because he can't really fly and I don't want him to fall down) he ends up upside down, and I was freaking out every time thinking he could die haha.

I live in a lake and my ducks are out on the water full time. Today when I went out to feed them I noticed two of my eight Pekin/Rouens were shivering. It's in the 20s here. Is that bad? Will she be okay? I have a pen I can put them in but I don't have a heat lamp or water heater. I rarely pen them too so I don't want to stress them out. Last year they did fine on the water all winter so I don't know what to do!

Back
Top Bottom