The Duck Thread

Stretching for a kiss? :D adorable!

Yup here's your kiss from Derpy

I toss in my 2 cents, lol...

First, how many and what kind? Their size and especially how many will make a big difference in how you brood them... ducklings are very messy, but 4 or so isn't bad... go up to 6, then 8 and the mess grows exponentially, that's a duckie mess rule I swear...

I use a heat lamp with a dimmer switch plug control, those things work really well... start around 90 and I usually go down approx 5 degrees each week, ducklings don't need to be quite as warm as chicks, but keeping them dry can be a challenge...

I suggest putting 1/4 hardware cloth over a deep baking pan and setting their waterer on top of that and that will cut down on wet cleanups a lot...

I prefer NutriDrench Poultry vitamins for their water as needed, or a boost to a weaker 'ling...

I agree on using Brewers yeast as being easier than niacin tabs... sprinkle on food and good to go, lol...

For food, yes you can use chick starter, but I personally prefer Purina Flock Raiser... pretty good all around feed from hatch to lay for ducks and chickens, and cuts down on changing feed/multiple types...

Vet wrap, antiobiotic ointment w/out pain reliever, clear iodine, epsom salts are all good things to keep on hand...

Can't think of anything else right now, but hope this helps... I know others can give more advice as well... good luck!
smile.png

Thanks. I was thinking of getting 6-8 ducklings. I'll get all the stuff to keep here. I just wanted an idea WHAT to get.

Much better people on here to give advice than me, but I'll share what I do and wait to be corrected!! Lol. A box and light will work for a brooder just check temp and be absolutely sure it can't get too hot. Temp should be 90 to start 1 day olds and drop 1 degree a week until around 80.. Then 80 until they go outside at 7-8 weeks. That's what I do. Make sure they are eating and drinking water. If you get day old ducks dip their bills in water and make sites their nares/nostrils are free of egg matter and to teach them to drink feed can be chick starter with Brewers yeast added. Non medicated is best. Brewers yeast contains small amounts of niacin so there's not much chance of them getting too much. I'm currently adding 1/2 a tablet to each day's water supply for 2 ducklings. Please buy a thermometer to check temps!! Very important. I just lost 2 ducklings either they got too warm or suffocated on egg matter. So I'm sharing that experience in the hopes that no one else makes the same mistakes. These are the two survivors!!! 3 days old
Thanks!

Anyone???... Hi there, Can someone please recommend a great incubator for Muscovy Duck Eggs please? And any helpful tips for a successful hatching? Thanks so much!! :)
It's not so much what kind of eggs its more what bator, I like my hova bator, seems to work great. HOWEVER, my best bator ever was the ones that I made myself. It's easy to do and when something goes wrong, there's no guessing. I have three homemade bators.

Back
Top Bottom