The Duck Thread

O geez... I'm a dummy.. can Swedish ducks lay eggs as big as Pekins? I thought the 10 eggs I incubated were all Pekin but am wondering if 3 might have been swedish? My black swedish has the eye stripe and I've been wondering where it came from in these little ones.
idunno.gif
th.gif

I clip my ducks wing feathers so they will not get the air lift to fly. Also because the Khake Campbell`s wing feathers were like sticks with nothing on them. I have to wait for her to go into a molt so the rest of the stubs come out. After each molt is over, I will need to clip the wing feathers again to keep her grounded.
thanks for the information. I think my drake is in a molt stage right now.

Last edited:
I clip my ducks wing feathers so they will not get the air lift to fly. Also because the Khake Campbell`s wing feathers were like sticks with nothing on them. I have to wait for her to go into a molt so the rest of the stubs come out. After each molt is over, I will need to clip the wing feathers again to keep her grounded.

Are the stick like feathers with nothing on them to be expected before molt? during? My Pekin's have these.

Quote: The Khake Campbell had mite`s on her, from the chicken coop where she came from. The mites had eaten the fine feathers off the main
shaft, leaving her in a bad way. She has lay`d eggs every day even though she was run down from the mites. Since I treated her with a NEEM wash to kill mites, Her other feathers are coming back but the wing feathers have not yet. I do no know if she was in molt. Probably not since she never quit laying. Some ducks may never show that they are molting. I boosted her feed with kitten kibbles for the protein, Warm water to keep her warm, oyster shell for egg shells, and grit for her gizzard. Warm drinking water to keep her body core warm. A 150 watt bulb available for her to warm up to. Also got a good green alfalfa bale for their pen, Every thing in there pen is free choice..
My understanding is they will molt once a year. If I am wron I hope to be corrected on this because I am still learning too.

The Khake Campbell had mite`s on her, from the chicken coop where she came from. The mites had eaten the fine feathers off the main
shaft, leaving her in a bad way. She has lay`d eggs every day even though she was run down from the mites. Since I treated her with a NEEM wash to kill mites, Her other feathers are coming back but the wing feathers have not yet. I do no know if she was in molt. Probably not since she never quit laying. Some ducks may never show that they are molting. I boosted her feed with kitten kibbles for the protein, Warm water to keep her warm, oyster shell for egg shells, and grit for her gizzard. Warm drinking water to keep her body core warm. A 150 watt bulb available for her to warm up to. Also got a good green alfalfa bale for their pen, Every thing in there pen is free choice..
My understanding is they will molt once a year. If I am wron I hope to be corrected on this because I am still learning too.

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Happy to hear some feathers are coming back.

So what do you guys know about white layer ducks? I know they are supposed to lay more than the khaki Campbell. But my Pekin does that. I know they are a hybrid, and that they're supposed to be super layers. Non flying, and one place said 4.6 pounds at POL, which is 24 weeks.
Does anyone know if they are flighty, and if 4 1/2 pounds is accurate for weight? Are they small like Silkie size, or just light like a leghorn?

So what do you guys know about white layer ducks? I know they are supposed to lay more than the khaki Campbell. But my Pekin does that. I know they are a hybrid, and that they're supposed to be super layers. Non flying, and one place said 4.6 pounds at POL, which is 24 weeks.
Does anyone know if they are flighty, and if 4 1/2 pounds is accurate for weight? Are they small like Silkie size, or just light like a leghorn?

I am going to assume you mean metzer white layers. They are generally calm. They look like a sleek smaller pekin. They are a little bigger than harlequins or Campbell's. And they do lay very, very well.

Mine is smaller than a pekin but my largest duck out of the group. She weighs in at 5.5 lbs and is a great layer. She is one year old and has been laying everyday since May. Mine is not flighty, but none of mine are at all and were hand raise with my 2 young kids. My white layer in particular it kinda a brat and will bite when she gets pissy. She has drawn blood but we still hold her just watch out when she get mad and flips her head back around. I think that is just her not the breed pre say. Ducks themselves are very much individuals. Here is a pic of my ducks she is the one in the front

Back
Top Bottom