The Duck Thread

Put them outside during the day for a week or so, then move them out permanently... personally, fully feathered I don't use heat lamps, just deep dry bedding and they're doing just fine...

I'm sure thats fine too, but in NY, it gets pretty cold in winter (and really hot summer) so I use a heat lamp at night for my ducks.

Thank you! This is our first winter with the peeps & quacks (my nickname for our feather babies). So far only the ducks are big enough to join the"big" kids. Our 3 chickens are much smaller than the older birds so we plan to keep them in a little while longer. I am thinking about putting them in an XL dog crate in the coop so they can see each other.

Thank you! This is our first winter with the peeps & quacks (my nickname for our feather babies). So far only the ducks are big enough to join the"big" kids. Our 3 chickens are much smaller than the older birds so we plan to keep them in a little while longer. I am thinking about putting them in an XL dog crate in the coop so they can see each other.
Good idea. don't want to throw them to the lions so to speak.

Good idea.  don't want to throw them to the lions so to speak. 

lol, that gave me a chuckle... and x2... :)

They all get locked in at night so that wouldn't be a problem :)

Sounds good! :)

These guys hatched Thanksgiving for Io, and Dec 2nd for the other 3... doing fine at 28 now, supposed to be 14 tonight...

I'm the "bad" duck mommy. Mine are not quite a year old. We've had lows in the single digits and my ducks don't go in at night either. They have places that they can get out of the wind and snow, but they seem to like it.

I am not saying that i advocate this for others...do what you want with your own... I'm just saying that mine are out and not freezing.

Back
Top Bottom