The Duck Thread

Well they have been put in the crate and took a sleigh ride to the coop. So far everyone is quacking and shaking of tail feathers and it appears to be getting along. Would a momma duck know they are their babies if they didnt hatch them?

I'm the "bad" duck mommy. Mine are not quite a year old. We've had lows in the single digits and my ducks don't go in at night either. They have places that they can get out of the wind and snow, but they seem to like it.

I am not saying that i advocate this for others...do what you want with your own... I'm just saying that mine are out and not freezing.

Opie butt!!!! :love

They'll go in if they get cold... :)

Well they have been put in the crate and took a sleigh ride to the coop. So far everyone is quacking and shaking of tail feathers and it appears to be getting along. Would a momma duck know they are their babies if they didnt hatch them?

Not necessarily... but some are happier to have others join their flock... there might still be some pecking order scuffs, but sounds good so far!

Lady Grey still runs away from every one of her kids I've hatched, lol...

Mine have no idea. And if I asked them, they would probably say, "you have no idea, so how should we???" Lol

Well...they would probably actually say, "don't care, gimme mealworms!"

Quote:
Well, I've lost my favorite duck today. Waffles, the pekin in my avatar, died in her sleep last night. I've never lost an adult duck before, let alone my favorite one. She was the nicest out of all my ducks, and would eat out of my hand and talk to me.

I got her in September 2014, along with her mallard mate, Potato. They were our first ducks. We don't know how old she was, but we were told she was one of those Easter ducks, a child's pet until she grew up, and then shoved in a tiny dog cage all alone. Her legs were horribly crooked from living in that cage for so long. She was crippled by it. She was very scared of people when I got her. But over the past year and a half I have been working with her, and had made such progress that she would rush up to me and only eat treats from my hand, not the ground like all the others. Of course she was the loudest too, and would talk back to us. None of my other ducks have anywhere close to the amount of personality she had.

I don't know why she died. Just one of those things probably. Everyone else is healthy. She had a heated coop. She's always been the slow one, with her crooked legs, and could never stand long. And she could have been ten years old for all I know. She had a weird black tumor thing on her breast too. But it never caused her pain and never seemed to bother her. My husband said she was acting overly nice last night, letting him approach her and pet her without running away, which is highly uncharacteristic. She must not have been feeling well, or just knew it was her time the way animals do. I feel really bad for Potato. He was devoted to her. They were inseparable.

The strange thing is, I picked her up a couple days ago. I haven't picked up any of my ducks in a while, but for some reason, I just felt like holding her. I sat with her for a few minutes petting her and gave her a kiss. I don't know why. I only catch my ducks when I have to because I don't like to stress them unnecessarily. I am glad I did but I didn't know it was goodbye. This sucks. A lot.
hugs.gif
So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. What a blessing that she got to sit with you and let your husband pet her in her last days.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom