The Duck Thread

How old are your babies?  I still have the Fab 5 separated from the others.  They can go nose to nose through fencing but I'm hoping to be able to tell their sex before letting them in with the big ducks.

They are about 2 1/2 months old. The girls were doing a majority of the "fighting" but they are all getting along now. There was only one duckling that was smaller than the adult hens that I was worried about. But all happy now.

It will be different when I add the 3 chicks, they are much smaller than the adult chickens so still in the house. One of them is a rooster and this will be their first meeting with one. I hope he's good to them or he will go to freezer camp .

I have googled this but to no avail. Can anyone tell me why female ducks tuck their tails under, squat as in pain and act like it's hard to walk, often flapping their wings when trying to walk? I don't believe they are eggbound nor do they have Marek's so are there any other possibilities? Thanks for your help.

I have googled this but to no avail. Can anyone tell me why female ducks tuck their tails under, squat as in pain and act like it's hard to walk, often flapping their wings when trying to walk?  I don't believe they are eggbound nor do they have Marek's so are there any other possibilities? Thanks for your help.

Do they also hunch up and duck their heads down as they do that?

Sounds like part of their grooming ritual... it looks weird to us, but in water it makes a lot more sense...

I have googled this but to no avail. Can anyone tell me why female ducks tuck their tails under, squat as in pain and act like it's hard to walk, often flapping their wings when trying to walk? I don't believe they are eggbound nor do they have Marek's so are there any other possibilities? Thanks for your help.

Do you have a video?

That is what Neun did soon before dying of egg yolk peritonitis. It can be treated - a vet's help is best, but if that is impossible, I would get the duck on antibiotics a.s.a.p.

certainly doesn't look anything like grooming to me. i will try to get a video this afternoon and post so you all can see.

certainly doesn't look anything like grooming to me. i will try to get a video this afternoon and post so you all can see.

I can't say that I've ever seen what you're describing. Can't wait for the video. Did you say ducks as in more than one is doing this?

old age is really getting to me... I can't remember if it was here or the hatching thread but I read where someone was incubating Muscovy eggs. Anybody here?? I set 16 eggs on the 19th
fl.gif

old age is really getting to me... I can't remember if it was here or the hatching thread but I read where someone was incubating Muscovy eggs. Anybody here?? I set 16 eggs on the 19th
fl.gif
I also set some. Think mine are due 1-31-2016. Also have three hens setting on some.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom