The Duck Thread

Does anyone know if even though Pekins aren't exactly known for being broody, will they still sit on their eggs long enough for them to hatch?

My Aflac hatched out several different clutches with out my help ....

Aflac is the one closer and I cant seem to find any photos of her right now with her ducklings ...

This is a photo of one of her clutches ......

gander007
old.gif

Since when do mallards only get along with KC??? That is the first I have ever heard anything like that.

I have mallards in with geese chickens guinea and their girl friends are Kaki Campbell's oh and there are also Pie King ducks also so yes thy are a very mellow duck and as funny as it is when the wild mallards fly in to the yard they haven't left with them yet .............

Feeding time at the zoo ...

Thy all seem to be getting along anyway ....

I have mallards in with geese chickens guinea and their girl friends are Kaki Campbell's oh and there are also Pie King ducks also so yes thy are a very mellow duck and as funny as it is when the wild mallards fly in to the yard they haven't left with them yet ............. Feeding time at the zoo ... Thy all seem to be getting along anyway ....
I'm starting to think maybe one day I want an African goose. They're so gosh darn awesome looking. Are they nice?

Quote:
Well to tell you the truth I was given the original two pairs from the Veterans Affairs Hospital as I did not want a dog and the Hospital was gigging up the pond to put in some more buildings so some of the geese had to go and the VA Hospital would not have had them there if they were aggressive but my geese do tend to pull the tail fathers of the roosters and I haven't much of a problem with strange people nocking on my door but all the geese really want from anyone is food and they are easily bribed with corn or pop corn or most any thing from potato chips to a hamburger they are not really particular and as far as care a safe yard and food and water but something to bath in is a must or the oil in the oil sack above the tail feathers will clog up and cause illness ....

Oh I have an autistic grandson and he chases them all over the yard and he is now a teenager but he has been chasing the geese for over ten years so I would say they are a good goose now on the other hand I did have to eat a pair of the white geese who nipped my grandson when he was little and they were mean so I never got anymore of them ...... And the white geese in the photo were part of the Christmas meal ....

I have mallards in with geese chickens guinea and their girl friends are Kaki Campbell's oh and there are also Pie King ducks also so yes thy are a very mellow duck and as funny as it is when the wild mallards fly in to the yard they haven't left with them yet ............. Feeding time at the zoo ... Thy all seem to be getting along anyway ....
Sorry if this is off topic but are those little birds quails or pigeons

Last edited:
Quote:
I live in Death Valley California and we do not have pigeons unless they belong to someone but we do have quail as people let them go but no the little birds are young chickens and ducks and once a year geese ..

Here this duck is waiting on his girl in the upper left hand corner to hatch her ducklings
and you can see the geese have their goslings ..

Even the young duck sleeps with a young gosling ....

In the spring there are baby's everywhere ....

What a mess in the early summer ...

Cute ya .....

The yard only holds so much so I wind up selling to local people in the spring and summer ..

I hope I answered your question but if not please ask again ....

gander007
old.gif

Thank you everyone for the congrats and compliments on Bugs and her babies. Total 13 hatched, she sat on 14. She's an awesome Momma. I have very sad news to report. We lost Boo to a Bobcat this morning:hit Before I realized what was going on and got out the door with the shotgun, it carried her off. We had to put one of our Great Pyrenees down just a couple of weeks ago and I know this would not have happened if he was still with us:hit RIP Boo, we love you. Baby Boo will carry your legacy on.:love
Such a sad note paired with so many positive introductions into the world. This time last year I was dealing with some predator issues and it always sucks no matter what. I'm sorry for the loss, I also dread the day I have to make that choice with my dog, he's like one of the kids you know. Family. Hope at least the ducklings can keep a smile on your face.
Khaki Campbell's r one of the only breeds that get along with mallards besides other mallards, just letting you know I hope u find some! If give ya some but I live in NY
My WH would beg to differ, I have a pair that's integrated into a group of 7 mallards. And even tho the Welsh can't fly with the others you would swear they thought they were every time there's a flutter of the group back to the pond. ;) Attimus

Back
Top Bottom