The Duck Thread

Hey guys I need a immediate answer what's the best egg production duck, my options are Mallards Pekins Khakis & Rouens. Which one should I get for egg production
KC are supposedly one of the best egg producers. Hybrids are really the way to go if you must have eggs like the white and golden layers. If you get good quality runners they are also good egg producers. Larger birds like pekins and Rouens take much longer to start to lay and mallards lay smaller eggs. I don't know a whole lot about mallards actually.

KC are supposedly one of the best egg producers. Hybrids are really the way to go if you must have eggs like the white and golden layers. If you get good quality runners they are also good egg producers. Larger birds like pekins and Rouens take much longer to start to lay and mallards lay smaller eggs. I don't know a whole lot about mallards actually.

Peep (mallard) lays blue eggs! A touch bigger than chicken and a touch smaller than pekin. But my KCs, best layers hands down!

They're not as reliable about it as chickens, but mine will usually wander back to their pen on their own when it gets dark if I'm late putting them in, and they always come back to it quick if they see a predator bird overhead. They know it's their safe place, even if it doesn't have all the delicious snacking bugs the rest of the yard has
big_smile.png
I also spoil them with treats, so they're quick to pen up when I call them as well.

love.gif
Thanks for sharing! They're adorable. Plus, I want to tag @Julie Bird to make sure she see this and listens to the webs slapping on the ground. Love it!!

I mean, I feel really bad for people who can't have the fowl. They're such great pets and it's so good for people to know EGGS ARE NOT WHITE!!!!! And CHICKENS ARE NOT THE ONLY ANIMAL WHO LAY EGGS! I was telling a lady about how great of layers my KC crosses were and she says "ugh! How can you eat DUCK eggs? That's so gross! Ducklings could hatch in your frying pan! And those eggs are BROWN! You should only eat your chickens eggs!" I show her my chickens and junglefowl eggs. She says "Ummmmm... Why are they different colors??? They must be moldy! I can't eat your eggs! You know, they have fresh eggs at the store!"

When do the KC start to lay?

Duck Question. Do ducks march themselves back to their houses in the evenings like chickens do??
Mine do. If I leave them alone they will put themselves to bed at 6:00 pm. I then just close the door to their cage. Sooooo easy! BUT...they can also get noisy and come get me to feed them if they don't want to go to bed by themselves. Mine are spoiled!!!

OK I did it! I ordered 5 ducklings. 2 Cayuga, 2 Blue Swedish and 1 Pekin (all hens...I hope). I will add these to the 2 Pekin hens I already have. I pick them up March 9. Wish me luck! I can't wait!!!!

Mandy

Back
Top Bottom