The Duck Thread

A quick hello from our new addition Leia, I am smitten and surprisingly Luda has been quite friendly. Will definitely be supervised interaction until she is bigger and I trust them both to play fair. Thank you for all the advice I can breathe again @AimToMisbehave @needlessjunk @Miss Lydia

What a beauty, awesome to hear about Luda. Look forward to hearing all about them in the coming weeks. Congrats!!!@LudasMummy

I'am hoping someone can tell me what breed ducklings I have here. The guy at the feed store said someone ordered them but chose not to take them he said they were 2 Rouen and a Muscovy, but the Rouen peep say not so can anyone help. I adore them so it wont change me keeping them just want to know more about the breed they are and what to expect. Thank you in advance.

A quick hello from our new addition Leia, I am smitten and surprisingly Luda has been quite friendly. Will definitely be supervised interaction until she is bigger and I trust them both to play fair. Thank you for all the advice I can breathe again @AimToMisbehave@needlessjunk@Miss Lydia

Adorable!

I'am hoping someone can tell me what breed ducklings I have here. The guy at the feed store said someone ordered them but chose not to take them he said they were 2 Rouen and a Muscovy, but the Rouen peep say not so can anyone help. I adore them so it wont change me keeping them just want to know more about the breed they are and what to expect. Thank you in advance.
The one in the middle looks like a Swedish and the other two look like KC. Maybe a Rouen in the back I can't tell. I don't know of any hatcheries that sell Muscovies. Where did they come from? Can you take a pic of their bills? @Miss Lydia what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
here are the best I could get they are still a bit unsure about me. I got them a the local feed store in Sutherlin Oregon. I went in for hay for my goats and came home with these 3.

As we mentioned on the Rouen thread, you likely have Rouen mixes or at least the one on top in the photo could be pure. The middle one could be muscovy. It's that last one I'm just not sure about. Ducks don't have many differences between the different breeds. Full grown size, laying habits and things can vary a bit, but as far as caring for them, all ducks require the same basic necessities. Food available only when they also have access to water. They'll need a heat source until they're fully feathered. There's a link in my signature line that covers more. Good luck! They're adorable.

Thank you, I am new at this duck thing but my husband wont let me have anymore chickens and I have always loved ducks my biggest fear was they would fly away but I see most domestic breeds cant fly so that puts my mind a bit at ease. They are the most adorable little things I have ever had they sure do snuggle better than chickens.

Thank you, I am new at this duck thing but my husband wont let me have anymore chickens and I have always loved ducks my biggest fear was they would fly away but I see most domestic breeds cant fly so that puts my mind a bit at ease. They are the most adorable little things I have ever had they sure do snuggle better than chickens.

Yep, that's one of the reasons I chose ducks. The only 2 breeds that I know of that can fly are Muscovy and Calls. I believe most people just clip the flight feathers once they grow in so they don't have to worry about them flying.

Back
Top Bottom