The Duck Thread

I got two more babies:D Willow and Daisy

We are having a bit of an issue with our lead drake, Pogo. Typical drake stuff but he is getting overly rough with my girls the last couple of days. His main interest is Little duck and today her front was full of mud and her wing feathers are all shabby. Time to move him to the garden I think for a bit and see if that helps. If he cannot behave when he goes back with the rest he may have to go live at Shane's dads for a while. If he was not my favorite drake he would be looking for a new home.
Oh those boys and their hormones .

Oh those boys and their hormones .
Lol they need an off switch. Shane's dad is interested in starting a flock over at his house so we will see how he does after segregation. If he needs to be moved on a permanent basis this would be ideal. He would only be a few minutes away and we go there all the time so I would still get to see my boy.

For the safety of your birds it may actually be worth it to order the hardware cloth/fence fabric online and have it shipped to you.
X2 - I had to special order mine because I wanted a roll long enough to do my whole area without a splice. Also, you will be brooding them for a while, so you have time to get the right materials. Your home improvement / feed supply stores should be able order it in from their distributors and get it in on a "normal" supply shipment and that might be cheaper than getting it shipped specifically to you.

Hi! I'm very new here. I have 2 female runner ducks and 1 male Pekin. I went on vacation for about a week and came home to this large nest ( more than a dozen) I plan to let them hatch...any advice? (It's my first one)
welcome-byc.gif
My first hatch was a nest of 13. I had no idea that all 13 would hatch. Unless you're ready for a DOZEN, you might want to pull a few eggs. Has one of the runners gone broody? If not, you might should start numbering the eggs so you can pull the oldest if the nest size increases. Good luck. There's nothing more precious then seeing little ducklings following their momma around.

I am getting my first ducks in a few weeks. Actually first poultry ever, always wanted chickens but now that I have the acreage and having done a little research I figure ducks are the way to go for me!
smile.png
I am getting 10, 4 Cayuga, 4 Buff, and 2 Swedish. I just started building the house/run for them yesterday, and am hoping to also fence of the area next to it so they can "free range" somewhat in the garden and raspberry patch. I am wanting to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth but am having a hell of a time finding it here in Alberta. I live in what seems like coyote central so any suggestions on alternatives to hardware cloth? Thanks so much
smile.png
Good for you doing your research. I agree with the others... you definitely want to start out right and hardware cloth is the safest.

For the safety of your birds it may actually be worth it to order the hardware cloth/fence fabric online and have it shipped to you.
x2

We are having a bit of an issue with our lead drake, Pogo. Typical drake stuff but he is getting overly rough with my girls the last couple of days. His main interest is Little duck and today her front was full of mud and her wing feathers are all shabby. Time to move him to the garden I think for a bit and see if that helps. If he cannot behave when he goes back with the rest he may have to go live at Shane's dads for a while. If he was not my favorite drake he would be looking for a new home.
Off to drake jail I say, lol.

I got two more babies:D Willow and Daisy
soooo cute!

Lol they need an off switch. Shane's dad is interested in starting a flock over at his house so we will see how he does after segregation. If he needs to be moved on a permanent basis this would be ideal. He would only be a few minutes away and we go there all the time so I would still get to see my boy.
or to drake camp, lol.

Believe me, when someone develops the "Under the wing *mellow out* patch", I will be the first in line to buy a box
roll.png
tongue.png

I like that idea. that way no one would ever know they were wearing one, being discreet is very important to a drake you know.
x3

Back
Top Bottom