The Duck Thread

I don't know if you guys remember but last summer I raised a group of ancona babies for a friend (my Louie is from that group). Well we heard today that the chocolate girl is sitting on her very first nest! His original girl (Little Duck's mom) is also on a nest.

Now to stay far away from his house if they hatch
lau.gif

I don't know if you guys remember but last summer I raised a group of ancona babies for a friend (my Louie is from that group). Well we heard today that the chocolate girl is sitting on her very first nest! His original girl (Little Duck's mom) is also on a nest.

Now to stay far away from his house if they hatch
lau.gif
The pull is going to be strong.. Better by strong rope
wink.png

Well I put boric acid down on neighbor side of fence. I put bug be gone up front in zone 1 . No luck on eggs.still need to do zone 2.

We are having a bit of an issue with our lead drake, Pogo. Typical drake stuff but he is getting overly rough with my girls the last couple of days. His main interest is Little duck and today her front was full of mud and her wing feathers are all shabby. Time to move him to the garden I think for a bit and see if that helps. If he cannot behave when he goes back with the rest he may have to go live at Shane's dads for a while. If he was not my favorite drake he would be looking for a new home.

i use to have all my ducks and drakes together (i have 3 different breeds) until the drakes would use one duck more often than any of the other ducks. so this duck got a cut above her right eye, that i didnt notice for a few days, until it got infected. she had an eye infection and then she fought w/another duck and gave it to her. so, i had to treat both ducks, keep them seprated by themselves so they could heal. and now i do not let them cross breed. the ducks are seperate from the drakes. and when i let them breed for their pleasure/fun or for fertile eggs, i put the same like breeds together. i will do this each day for as long as i want fertile eggs and then i seperate ducks and drakes just to give the ducks a break from the drakes. drakes are obscessed with ducks when they are seperated. my drakes wont even eat during the day, too often, they just run back n forth along the fence everytime the ducks move, its funny and sad.
It is late and i am tired, i hope i am making sence. i think i will quite talking now... hope this helps?

I have a question about my pekins. I have 2 that came to me from a neighbor. They are about 6 weeks old and are in their own pen next to my other ducks. We got two more babies last week who are about 2 weeks old now. We bring the babies outside to sit with us and yesterday we brought the pekins to sit with us too. One of them could see the babies and started shaking and trying to bite the babies. Is this a bad aggressive behavior beginning? I am very new to raising my duckies and don't know all the behaviors yet :)

I have a question about my pekins. I have 2 that came to me from a neighbor. They are about 6 weeks old and are in their own pen next to my other ducks. We got two more babies last week who are about 2 weeks old now. We bring the babies outside to sit with us and yesterday we brought the pekins to sit with us too. One of them could see the babies and started shaking and trying to bite the babies. Is this a bad aggressive behavior beginning? I am very new to raising my duckies and don't know all the behaviors yet :)
I wouldn't put the 2 weeks old around the older ones unless you can always be present, There is always a bully and it will take time and growth before the lil ones can hold their own against 6 week old ducklings probably by the time your 2 weeks old are same size if you have been doing supervised play time they should all be getting along.

@mama2girlies Welcome to BYC

I have a question about my pekins.  I have 2 that came to me from a neighbor.  They are about 6 weeks old and are in their own pen next to my other ducks.  We got two more babies last week who are about 2 weeks old now.  We bring the babies outside to sit with us and yesterday we brought the pekins to sit with us too.  One of them could see the babies and started shaking and trying to bite the babies.  Is this a bad aggressive behavior beginning?  I am very new to raising my duckies and don't know all the behaviors yet :)
I am having a similar problem. Help?

[/IMG]
I got 6 little ducklings for my backyard they're about two weeks old and I was wondering if anybody could tell if they are boys or girls I have read that you need 3 female ducks to one male duck falling in love with all of them

Last edited:
[/URL]I got 6 little ducklings for my backyard they're about two weeks old and I was wondering if anybody could tell if they are boys or girls I have read that you need 3 female ducks to one male duck falling in love with all of them

I personally can't help much except if you listen to them quack the males will have a deeper raspy quack and the girls will be a lot louder and higher pitched.

@tracyjg
@Miss Lydia

I am getting my first ducks in a few weeks. Actually first poultry ever, always wanted chickens but now that I have the acreage and having done a little research I figure ducks are the way to go for me! :) I am getting 10, 4 Cayuga, 4 Buff, and 2 Swedish. I just started building the house/run for them yesterday, and am hoping to also fence of the area next to it so they can "free range" somewhat in the garden and raspberry patch. I am wanting to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth but am having a hell of a time finding it here in Alberta. I live in what seems like coyote central so any suggestions on alternatives to hardware cloth? Thanks so much :)

I have also been researching for 60" high, and it looks like the best option is to buy A roll of 36" and a roll of 24", and use the special pliers and clips to attach them together. It's all available on Amazon. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom