The Duck Thread

New here, still trying to figure out how to post questions. I hope this is right... so my family and I own 2 gorgeous Pekins (somewhere between 4-6 weeks old). My question is.. do your Pekins purr while being pet or nudge your hand wanting to be pet more? I can't find anything on Google about ducks actually "purring" or vibrating. Are they really purrin/showing affection or is just something they do regularly (without being pet)?

Y
New here, still trying to figure out how to post questions. I hope this is right... so my family and I own 2 gorgeous Pekins (somewhere between 4-6 weeks old). My question is.. do your Pekins purr while being pet or nudge your hand wanting to be pet more? I can't find anything on Google about ducks actually "purring" or vibrating. Are they really purrin/showing affection or is just something they do regularly (without being pet)?

You are so lucky so have such loving creatures and this seems to happen more with hand raised ducks and geese and I have one gander who after 4 years demands such attention daily ...

Bob in the back and Aflac is closer
love.gif

Hey guys. My Sebastopol has been sitting on duck eggs for a while now - at least 15 days - but I'm not sure how long. I checked out the eggs today and candled them the best I could with the light on my phone. It doesn't work super well. Most of the eggs have a bright air cell and the rest of the egg can't be seen through at all. A few have stuff inside that I can see moving around as I move the egg, with some stuff always at the "top", and the egg is completely illuminated when I candle it. Which eggs are fertile and which aren't? How far along do you think they are?

At 15 days the dark ones with defined air cells are growing, the ones that are completely illuminated are not fertile or early quitters.

So my Duckies are now about 8 weeks old and I have no idea what they are I was told the grey one was a Rouen, but it is a mix with something else and I was told my black and yellow one was a Muscovy and I would guess the feed store owner had no idea because it looks more like a black Swedish now. Oh well they are cute as can be and get along with the chickens and even waddle their little hinnies into the coop at night. So I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me their sex if its at all possible, I want to get more this time from a breeder who knows what they have and I don't what to end up with a bad ratio.

They are beautiful! Are they loud or quiet? http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

So my Duckies are now about 8 weeks old and I have no idea what they are I was told the grey one was a Rouen, but it is a mix with something else and I was told my black and yellow one was a Muscovy and I would guess the feed store owner had no idea because it looks more like a black Swedish now. Oh well they are cute as can be and get along with the chickens and even waddle their little hinnies into the coop at night. So I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me their sex if its at all possible, I want to get more this time from a breeder who knows what they have and I don't what to end up with a bad ratio.

Looks like a Black Swedish to me too. The other one must be a hybrid. You will have to go by how they sound to figure out gender, or wait for curly feathers.

I've never heard any purring, do your pekins meow too?
tongue.png

Just saw this on facebook and my heart is broken. How would this even happen?

:( I'm a wildlife rehabilitation expert and I see this a lot. Snapping turtles bite off beaks sometimes... I actually rehabbed a Canada goose that only has 50% of its beak and it was able to be released and is still alive three years later! Last year he even had a mate and goslings!

Back
Top Bottom