The Duck Thread

:( I'm a wildlife rehabilitation expert and I see this a lot. Snapping turtles bite off beaks sometimes... I actually rehabbed a Canada goose that only has 50% of its beak and it was able to be released and is still alive three years later! Last year he even had a mate and goslings!

I can't think of anyway of it happening here in the UK tho... pretty sure we don't have snapping turtles. It's well enough to fly because people are out looking for her to get her some help.

At 15 days the dark ones with defined air cells are growing, the ones that are completely illuminated are not fertile or early quitters.
ok - most are dark with defined air cells. Some of them are MOSTLY dark with defined air cells, but I can see stuff moving inside as I move the egg. Others nothing moves inside as I move the egg or they're so dark that I can't even tell if there's anything moving. I don't have a flashlight or anything. Are the ones that have stuff floating inside dead? Or do they just look different?

I can't think of anyway of it happening here in the UK tho... pretty sure we don't have snapping turtles. It's well enough to fly because people are out looking for her to get her some help.

Oh, I didn't realize it was in the UK! Maybe her poor little beak got crushed :(

Oh, I didn't realize it was in the UK! Maybe her poor little beak got crushed :(

I can't stop thinking about it :( poor little lady. I just hope she's safe and being looked after, tho I haven't had an update. I'd drive down myself if I didn't have baba ducks to look after. Never even seen this happen before.

I can't stop thinking about it :( poor little lady. I just hope she's safe and being looked after, tho I haven't had an update. I'd drive down myself if I didn't have baba ducks to look after. Never even seen this happen before.

If I could I would take her in a heartbeat!

They are pretty quiet, but they really don't say much my husband and I have both been listening for a quack and haven't heard any.

ok - most are dark with defined air cells. Some of them are MOSTLY dark with defined air cells, but I can see stuff moving inside as I move the egg. Others nothing moves inside as I move the egg or they're so dark that I can't even tell if there's anything moving. I don't have a flashlight or anything. Are the ones that have stuff floating inside dead? Or do they just look different?

The loose floaty ones probably aren't any good be careful not yeo break one. Without a flashlight it's hard to tell.I wouldn't toss any that you have hope for but the clear ones. When you say it moves do you mean it sloshes or you can see s defined movement of something solid inside?

Last edited:
Hi,

After a lot of research I'm planning to get my first ducks (Welsh Harlequin, Cayuga, Indian Runners). I have an 10 foot by 15 foot area on my patio which I am planning to turn into a duck pen but they would be allowed to free range in my garden when I'm at home. How many ducks would I be able to keep in this sort of space?

Hi,

After a lot of research I'm planning to get my first ducks (Welsh Harlequin, Cayuga, Indian Runners). I have an 10 foot by 15 foot area on my patio which I am planning to turn into a duck pen but they would be allowed to free range in my garden when I'm at home. How many ducks would I be able to keep in this sort of space?
According to Cornell University adult ducks (average in size) need 3 sq. ft. per duck. You will have about 150 sq ft so could fit 50 ducks there. That would be a lot of ducks. I suspect that you are not planning on that many so you will have plenty of space for what you do get. Be careful about gender though. Usual recommendation is one drake (male) for every 4-5 ducks (females). If you are going to have males and have never had ducks before prepare yourself. Duck mating is anything but attractive or romantic. If you can get sexed ducklings you may want to start with only females. Good luck, ducks are fun and funny and duck eggs are delicious.

Back
Top Bottom