The Duck Thread

Ok I got a question maybe you guys can help, I don't have a female duck just a drake, but the 3 week olds are scared of him but outside with him though in big run so he can't get after them, yesterday we noticed a lone female wild duck flying around and calling to them. Should I be worried.

we have year old blue swedish drake
2 2-3 week old runners and a pekin
then inside we still have a week to and a 2 day old blue Swedish

Last edited:
Ok I got a question maybe you guys can help, I don't have a female duck just a drake, but the 3 week olds are scared of him but outside with him though in big run so he can't get after them, yesterday we noticed a lone female wild duck flying around and calling to them. Should I be worried.

I wouldn't be. I have 2 mated wild pair that summer at our pond with all my ducks. They sometimes chatter at the babies and swim with the adults. They even wander into the pen for a pellet nibble. When their own babies hatch, they stay at my neighbors pond and then leave. I do know there's avian diseases that are communicable, but I haven't encountered any up here.

Last edited:
thought it was kinda odd to see a lone female, maybe she's trying to move in with the drake lol

Lol!!! The wilds here do separate sometimes. I've had both the male and female spend the better part of the day alone. The newest pair, the male hangs out and the female takes off. It is nesting season.....

kinda figured that was case here too, the drake was hilarious as doesn't have a hen and he was gonna sit on chicken eggs , made nice little nest up too lol, but he got kicked outta the coop with the
chickens for trying to breed the buff orpington, so we are trying to get him to accept the other babies and they are talking to each other even though they are scared of him. but least it's duck company so he'll leave my chicken hens alone. Haven't been able to come up with a hen yet for him.

Last edited:
Oh so she's not a mallard? It will be interesting to see what she looks like when she grows up!
I thought mallards only have one eye stripe??

So my Duckies are now about 8 weeks old and I have no idea what they are I was told the grey one was a Rouen, but it is a mix with something else and I was told my black and yellow one was a Muscovy and I would guess the feed store owner had no idea because it looks more like a black Swedish now. Oh well they are cute as can be and get along with the chickens and even waddle their little hinnies into the coop at night. So I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me their sex if its at all possible, I want to get more this time from a breeder who knows what they have and I don't what to end up with a bad ratio.

Beautiful Black Swedish, unless it turns out to be a Scovy... then beautiful bibbed Scovy
smile.png

New here, still trying to figure out how to post questions. I hope this is right... so my family and I own 2 gorgeous Pekins (somewhere between 4-6 weeks old). My question is.. do your Pekins purr while being pet or nudge your hand wanting to be pet more? I can't find anything on Google about ducks actually "purring" or vibrating. Are they really purrin/showing affection or is just something they do regularly (without being pet)?
welcome-byc.gif
You are lucky to have such affectionate ducks. Mine hate me. I had a Black Swedish that made a purring sound and she definitely was not letting me pet her, lol.

8 out of 15 have now hatched!
jumpy.gif
Congrats!

sad.png
I'm a wildlife rehabilitation expert and I see this a lot. Snapping turtles bite off beaks sometimes... I actually rehabbed a Canada goose that only has 50% of its beak and it was able to be released and is still alive three years later! Last year he even had a mate and goslings!
Is it possible for snapping turtles to decapitate a duck?

Hey,

So I have a question about my pekin girl. I noticed when I let my three pekins out in the morning the past couple days that she has been taking a lot longer than usual to come out of the house. So I thought maybe she's still laying her egg(s) but today I actually looked to see what she was doing because the whole time she's as quiet as a mouse. So I poked my head in to find that she is making a wall around the area where they lay and she was sitting on her eggs but then she came out and each time she doesn't go back in all day. Is she just doing some instinctive thing I've never seen them do before? Or is she going/gone broody?
I have a Pekin that does this. She has never gone broody. I did have one Pekin go broody but she quit when I moved her eggs to a safer location.
Drakes and ducks both can be aggressive when there's brooding going on!! Pekins are definitely not known for their broodiness, but, each is an individual!!! YES, separate drakes from ducklings. Very important!!
x2 I would have an incubator on standby
smile.png

Quote:

Button brooding in her volcano nest!!
This is brooding, in spring, in Maine!!
OMG, too CUTE!

That is the cutest pic, you need submit for next years calendar.
X2 FOR SURE

Back
Top Bottom