The Duck Thread

I cannot find any information on manna pro gamebird/show bird starter. Does it have enough niacin for ducklings? That is the only available starter feed for ducks i can find around here.
To assure that your ducklings get enough Niacin over their first 10 weeks or so you can get Brewers Yeast (not the stuff you make bread with) at most health food stores or places like GNC. Just sprinkle it over their food each feeding. You can also get the niacin pills that Walmart sells for dogs and grind them into a powder if you have a hard time find brewers yeast. Any mixed flock feed will do fine as will most chick starters if you have a hard time finding feed specifically formulated for ducks.

We had to go with turkey non medicated starter crumble for ours because we couldn't get it local either. And the pellets no one eats around here.

Don't laugh too hard but here is my first attempt at duck diapers. I didn't take much time to make these ones, knowing they will only fit for a couple of days. But they don't mind them at all and they love that they get longer lap time now. I'll post my next attempt in a few days.

Pardon the wet faces. They had just had bath time.

Last edited:
To assure that your ducklings get enough Niacin over their first 10 weeks or so you can get Brewers Yeast (not the stuff you make bread with) at most health food stores or places like GNC. Just sprinkle it over their food each feeding. You can also get the niacin pills that Walmart sells for dogs and grind them into a powder if you have a hard time find brewers yeast. Any mixed flock feed will do fine as will most chick starters if you have a hard time finding feed specifically formulated for ducks.

Ok. Thank you so much! This is my first (but definitely not last) experience with ducklings. I am hooked lol

Ok. Thank you so much! This is my first (but definitely not last) experience with ducklings. I am hooked lol
CAUTION!!! There is a thing called chicken math that applies to all types of farm poultry. Sounds like you have the early stages of the duck version of the disease.
celebrate.gif

CAUTION!!! There is a thing called chicken math that applies to all types of farm poultry. Sounds like you have the early stages of the duck version of the disease.:celebrate

They haven't shown any signs of anything, I was just concerned that there may not be enough niacin in their diet. What are the signs I would need to look for in that? I want to make sure my duckies are 100% healthy!

They haven't shown any signs of anything, I was just concerned that there may not be enough niacin in their diet. What are the signs I would need to look for in that? I want to make sure my duckies are 100% healthy!
You would see it mostly in their legs early on. Things like bowed legs, weakness in the legs, lame, that sort of thing. Later on you may see things like apparent disorientation, not able to hold head correctly. If they get a balanced diet with added niacin for the first 10 weeks they should be just fine. Remember that with birds of all types, symptoms usually don't show until it is too late. So be proactive in their care.

Chickie and duckie update! In case anyone is interested, lol.

The longer he goes without making a quack, the more I worry that Eggos is a male. I am disappointed, I really wanted another Pekin in my flock :( the runner still has no name (suggestions?), but she is a girl for sure. Both eat out of my hand readily so that is a plus.

The chicks are finally becoming old enough to start to tell males from females. I have some guesses as to their sexes, but could use some help if anyone wants to chime in their opinions (cough cough @Miss Lydia) ;)

I am almost certain the barred Plymouth rock is a male. He is feisty as heck.

I don't know what the heck kind of chicken this is, but I'm thinking he is a rooster too. Instead of a comb, he has a beard lol. Maybe Ameraucana?

Noooo idea what this guy is too, but he's roo for sure. He's mean as heck!

This buff is actually nice and often hops in my lap but I think he's a rooster.

The other buff is just a doll, I named her Gobbles and am thinking she's a girl. She had no comb hardly at all. No good pics of her tho :(

I think this is a girl, but not sure what kind. She looked a lot like the multicolored bearded roo as a chick so I'm assuming she's the same breed.

The black chicks and red chicks are still a toss up.

Sorry for all the chicken pictures in the duck thread. Here is a picture of my swamp pen to make up for it.

Last edited:
Chickie and duckie update! In case anyone is interested, lol.

The longer he goes without making a quack, the more I worry that Eggos is a male. I am disappointed, I really wanted another Pekin in my flock :( the runner still has no name (suggestions?), but she is a girl for sure. Both eat out of my hand readily so that is a plus.

Awe so cute! The pekin looks like a hen to me. Although I could be wrong. I think if it's a drake the chest will fill out and be very round. Also how about Caramel?

Just dropping in. . .life is so busy!
We gave our ducks a bigger pool this past week. They love it! Of course they do. . .the two that are fully feathered rarely leave the water. Our Pekins are finally starting to feather. I am positive at least one duck is a female. I think a second duck is quacking, but it only seems to do so when I'm around the corner and can't see who is making noise.

Back
Top Bottom