The Duck Thread

I have 6 sweedish ducks and I'm not sure how many males and females they are 6 weeks old and some are quacking so i should know soon. My question is 3 of them are larger so I have a feeling I might end up with more then one male if this happens will I need to get more females. There new feathers are a green tint is that an indication of a male or is that something all sweedish ducks have.
I don't know about the feather color but I can tell you that the recommended male to female split for ducks is 1 male to every 4-5 females. I know some that have a one to one ratio with no problem but you are really risking over breeding and/or injury to your females.

Awhile back there was an article on BYC about table top/table high brooders. Instead of coming in from above to clean, add feed and water basically you come in from the side and at the same height as the chicks. I can't find the article now for the life of me but it talked about how much calmer the chicks were because they were not being approached from above. It made so much sense I thought I'd try it. IT WORKS, lol. My new lings are so calm and they don't scramble when I open the side. If I try to reach over they run. YAY for whoever wrote the article
thumbsup.gif

I didn't see the article, but I am just finishing a brood that we did at table height and it was great. WARNING: they are not afraid of jumping out though so you have to be on your toes!!! We had 3 successful jumps out of the brooder onto the kitchen floor. We were lucky that nothing bad happened, but keep this in mind. If I were to do another brood, it would definitely be table top. The ducklings were much more social that the ones we brooded on the floor. Don't know if it will make a difference with the duck yet as some of my brooder nightmares are some of my sweetest ducks and vice versa.

I have 6 sweedish ducks and I'm not sure how many males and females they are 6 weeks old and some are quacking so i should know soon. My question is 3 of them are larger so I have a feeling I might end up with more then one male if this happens will I need to get more females. There new feathers are a green tint is that an indication of a male or is that something all sweedish ducks have.
Can you post pictures?

Back
Top Bottom