The Duck Thread

My two boys are pecking at each others necks whenever I'm around them. Any reason for this? (pretty new to having ducks, less than a year) I thought I was making progress with them as they are now comfortable with me and love following me around and having cuddles. But whenever I go to see them, they run up to me and as soon as they're close bubble starts pecking squeaks neck and then squeak goes for bubble and I have to split them up until they calm down. Is this normal?

Poultrylover101
Any duck can be friendly. That said runners and khakis tend to be more skittish with a few exceptions. Large breeds tend to be calmer.

My two boys are pecking at each others necks whenever I'm around them. Any reason for this? (pretty new to having ducks, less than a year) I thought I was making progress with them as they are now comfortable with me and love following me around and having cuddles. But whenever I go to see them, they run up to me and as soon as they're close bubble starts pecking squeaks neck and then squeak goes for bubble and I have to split them up until they calm down. Is this normal?
Maybe they are jealous. Not sure, I have all hens and they "mate" roughly (I know.. they are all GIRLS!), they pull the feathers from each other's necks during their "play". I'm not sure how you fix THAT!

Good luck fixing it/figuring it out.

What are your thoughts on using clean sand in our duck's enclosure. I had a pile delivered for use around the house on various projects. Normally my ducks are free ranging and stay in their pen only at night. But right now I have 2 ducks in a 5x5 pen inside the enclosure 24/7. I am treating one for angel wing and have put a friend with her. I was wondering if sand would make the cleanup easier in the 2 duck's pen. I have to change out the pine shavings or hay at least once, sometimes twice, a day. It's really nasty!!

This is the enclosure, their 5 ft. pen is inside this, that way they can be with all the other ducks overnight. I open up their pen and allow them to mingle with all the other ducks during the night.

That does make me feel better thank you!

Did your babies come? Mine did! Metzer did great, shipped with a heat pack a gro gel. The post office not so much, they didn't call and left them sitting in my unheated front room and I didn't know they were there for potentially hours. No idea how long the poor things were there. And they had to have come in on the morning truck meaning the post office had them all day and didn't call, kept them there, and then they had to ride around with the postman until they were delivered :barnie All's well that ends well, but yeesh.

Did your babies come? Mine did! Metzer did great, shipped with a heat pack a gro gel. The post office not so much, they didn't call and left them sitting in my unheated front room and I didn't know they were there for potentially hours. No idea how long the poor things were there. And they had to have come in on the morning truck meaning the post office had them all day and didn't call, kept them there, and then they had to ride around with the postman until they were delivered
barnie.gif
All's well that ends well, but yeesh.
Yea! I'm glad you have them. Now they GROW!!!! Enjoy!

I tryed to candle eggs from my phone flash light today. We called all chicken eggs one exploded. Duck eggs look like there's nothing moving. They have 4 more days from when I took them based on. Before the ones outside hatch a new hatch on first.but it doesn't look promising we got none. Oh well maybe 1st will be a better litter.

Did your babies come? Mine did! Metzer did great, shipped with a heat pack a gro gel. The post office not so much, they didn't call and left them sitting in my unheated front room and I didn't know they were there for potentially hours. No idea how long the poor things were there. And they had to have come in on the morning truck meaning the post office had them all day and didn't call, kept them there, and then they had to ride around with the postman until they were delivered
barnie.gif
All's well that ends well, but yeesh.

Pics, please? I think I recall you ordered goslings. Would love to see them!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom