The Duck Thread

Agreed. I'm just being cautious because he got attacked by a fox.. Well actually he attacked the fox because the fox took a chicken.
The fox will be back. I've lost six chickens in the last month, and by the way the others are acting, the fox is lurking and watching. The others are in the fenced yard by the house now.

The fox will be back. I've lost six chickens in the last month, and by the way the others are acting, the fox is lurking and watching. The others are in the fenced yard by the house now.
I agree. Once they know that there's chickens or ducks around, they will frequent your place. A fox figured out that we have chickens, and, although we haven't lost any, I need to set my havahart trap for it. It keeps coming around near the fence. I just hope it's not a mommy fox that has little babies that need her. Regardless, it needs to go!

Hi all. I have 3 muscovies arriving tomorrow. They are only 1 day old. I have never had any birds. I have 2 pigs and had goats. Just looking for any words of wisdom. I am assuming to keep them inside for a few weeks. I live on Long Island in New York.
Hey, I'm in NY, too! As far as the ducks, I haven't had muscovies, but for ducks in general (you probably know this, but if you don't, you need fair warning!), they are messy and go through tons of water! They grow super fast. And ducklings are somewhat fragile; one of mine died when it was only a few days old because a careless ten year old dropped her
sad.png
. Yes, they are supposed to be inside for a few weeks. That's my $.02, for what it's worth. Have fun with your new 'lings!
big_smile.png

Hey, I'm in NY, too! As far as the ducks, I haven't had muscovies, but for ducks in general (you probably know this, but if you don't, you need fair warning!), they are messy and go through tons of water! They grow super fast. And ducklings are somewhat fragile; one of mine died when it was only a few days old because a careless ten year old dropped her :( . Yes, they are supposed to be inside for a few weeks. That's my $.02, for what it's worth. Have fun with your new 'lings! :D

Thanks for your two cents. They can be as messy as they want and drink all the want too! As long as they're quiet, i will be happy. :) How old are your muscovies now? Fortunately, no one else will be handling my birds, so they should be safe.

Thanks for your two cents. They can be as messy as they want and drink all the want too! As long as they're quiet, i will be happy.
smile.png
How old are your muscovies now? Fortunately, no one else will be handling my birds, so they should be safe.
Good! You sound prepared! You will have so much fun; ducks are so awesome!!!

One of drake's high libido has lead to some of the ladies having pulled neck feathers. I have separated him with three gals he ignores. Idiot is still ignoring them. Like a guy, if the gals want him, he ignores them and if they don't want him, he can't leave them alone.

The pulled feathers led to a couple of the gals getting small sores on their necks. Can I use Neosportin or Green Goo on the neck? I am concerned that using those might lead to the rest of the feathers messed up during preening.

Thanks.

Yvette

You can use Neosporin, as long as it doesn't contain any pain relieving ingredients. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Green Goo.

Back
Top Bottom