The Duck Thread

My duck i 5 week older and look active and normal but his feathers are falling down i am so worried about haim please tell me what can i do

My duck is 5 week older and he look ctive but his feathers are falling down i am so worried about him tell me what can I do

I have a question for anyone to answer. If a duck is mated by 2 drakes in one day, how would you know who the sire of the hatchling is?? Is there any way a duck can decide which drakes sperm she will keep to fertilize her egg? A way for her to expell the sperm from the first and keep the sperm from the second. I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense, but a friend said they were told this.

Thanks for any ideas, Linda

I have a question for anyone to answer. If a duck is mated by 2 drakes in one day, how would you know who the sire of the hatchling is?? Is there any way a duck can decide which drakes sperm she will keep to fertilize her egg? A way for her to expell the sperm from the first and keep the sperm from the second. I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense, but a friend said they were told this.

I've heard the same thing. I don't think you would be able to tell, though.

I've heard the same thing. I don't think you would be able to tell, though.
x2

Females protect themselves from undesired insemination through their long and complex oviduct (the equivalent of the vagina in birds). Brennan found that the vaginal tubes were not straight but had “all these weird structures, these pockets and spirals.” This served to impede the sperm’s fertilization mission; unwanted sperm could be stored in side chambers to be ejected later. The success of this design is proven by the fact that as many as one in three duck matings are rapes, but in nine out of ten of these, the offending sperm is eliminated, so 97 percent of all duck offspring are the result of the choice of the mother. http://www.webvet.com/main/2009/01/09/duck-mating-sex-lives-ducks

x2

Females protect themselves from undesired insemination through their long and complex oviduct (the equivalent of the vagina in birds). Brennan found that the vaginal tubes were not straight but had “all these weird structures, these pockets and spirals.” This served to impede the sperm’s fertilization mission; unwanted sperm could be stored in side chambers to be ejected later. The success of this design is proven by the fact that as many as one in three duck matings are rapes, but in nine out of ten of these, the offending sperm is eliminated, so 97 percent of all duck offspring are the result of the choice of the mother.  http://www.webvet.com/main/2009/01/09/duck-mating-sex-lives-ducks

Ren, that is so interesting. This I can understand. Thank you so very much.
Linda

Ren, that is so interesting. This I can understand. Thank you so very much.
Linda
Welcome
smile.png
Poor girls though. To have to endure all of the boys. I actually have 2 drakes in jail right now. My ratio is 4:11 and my girls heads are still getting damaged
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom