The Duck Thread

@Amiga , @Miss Lydia , megchu posted this in the emergency forum:
So i've posted in Ducks, but nobody is replying. Yesterday one of my ducklings(week old) passed away. Today i've noticed that the other 3 are with swollen bellies. When i touched them i found that they're very hard (like full with pebbles). One of them got really bad, it only stoods under the lamp and it's not mooving. I thought it must be from the food (chicken starter) so i gave them cucumber and plenty of water. The two got better started pooping some jelly-like light pink substance. But this one is not pooping at all. It goes back as if it will poop, but nothing comes out. Please, someone help me give me some piece of advice. I am very new to ducklings (these are my fist) and i don't know what to do.

- Miglena
-Kathy

Quote: I think you need to cut open the dead one and see what it's intestines look like before you add anything to their diet. Would also be helpful to see pictures of some poop and of their bellies.

Did you hatch these in an incubator?

-Kathy

@Amiga and @Miss Lydia , is grit needed even though they have been kept inside and fed only chick starter until yesterday when cucumber was given? In the past I've given grit when when kept inside on chick starter, but with this last batch I have not. Just curious as I'm not sure what the correct thing to do is...

-Kathy

@Amiga and @Miss Lydia , is grit needed even though they have been kept inside and fed only chick starter until yesterday when cucumber was given? In the past I've given grit when when kept inside on chick starter, but with this last batch I have not. Just curious as I'm not sure what the correct thing to do is...

-Kathy
Kathy I put grit out as soon as I start feeding anything other than chick starter. Always have.

Another thing... if they aren't warm enough, they aren't going to drink enough water, which *might* be part of the problem.

-Kathy

Another thing... if they aren't warm enough, they aren't going to drink enough water, which *might* be part of the problem.

-Kathy

I believe they are warm enough because i keep them inside and they have a lamp, that keeps them warm. They drink a lot of water and i put them swim two times a day in the sink with warm water.
And i fed them cucumber only today, because i thought that they are constipated.

Last edited:
My duck is seven weak older.if he is sick and cold what can i do

well first you can warm up your duck with a regular light bulb that is all I use but I live in the desert .

Sick duck part of that could be you wrote your duck was cold this could be part of the problem but wile you have the duck in the home made brooder add some ACV to its water and feed it some hard boiled eggs or you can spend lots of money on a vet .

Do you have a photo of your duck ?

-Kathy

I believe they are warm enough because i keep them inside and they have a lamp, that keeps them warm. They drink a lot of water and i put them swim two times a day in the sink with warm water.
And i fed them cucumber only today, because i thought that they are constipated.

I wonder if they are warm enough, because in the pictures you posted in the other thread they look like they might me cold. Can you post a picture of your brooder?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom