The Duck Thread

I have two Mallard females sharing a nest of eggs that are due in the next couple days to hatch. Do you typically separate the moms and babies from the rest of the flock after they hatch? I'm worried that the other ducks and chickens will kill the babies, or that they might follow their moms in the pool and not be able to hop back out. I'll probably pen them up separately in the garage if I can catch them after they hatch.

I have two Mallard females sharing a nest of eggs that are due in the next couple days to hatch. Do you typically separate the moms and babies from the rest of the flock after they hatch? I'm worried that the other ducks and chickens will kill the babies, or that they might follow their moms in the pool and not be able to hop back out. I'll probably pen them up separately in the garage if I can catch them after they hatch.

I usually move my Moms when hatch begins that way babies are easy to catch. They are still under mom.I just place nest and all inside where I am going to keep them separate for everyone. I can't keep my moms and babies in same area[they get very protective and can fight and injure the ducklings] I keep them separated from each other with their own kids. For about a week or more depending on the mom and if she is experienced.

Well thanks everyone for your inputs, I still don't know what the cause was, which is always hard to pinpoint. The chick starter was more geared towards game birds so I thought it would be better, but my dad got it not me, so it wasnt me who made that decision. Anyway the two still alive are doing better, and Ive been watching them closely and stopped giving them the layer pellets.

Here are some more pictures of the ducklings! The one with the splayed leg is doing well, not completely normal but amazingly it is walking a little better every day!
wee.gif
I found out the two Mallard/Buff ducklings are sex-linked, the blue mallard being a male and the buff mallard looking one is a female! Gonna be a while till I know about the other two, the Runner/Buffs.

Aww
love.gif
How old are they now?

Back
Top Bottom