The Duck Thread

Haha right. If only Icould speak duck.

This is the view from my new bedroom window :)

AWESOME! Congratulations on the new place.

Thanks! Here's all the birds in their new home (except the six roosters in my freezer lol, took care of those last week). Main duck shed is in the back left, and the mamas and babies have their temporary set up against the side of the house under the eaves.

Last edited:
Holy moly. All my ducks are moved over to our new house. Getting those two mama mallards and their week old babies was just the worst experience ever. I got bit, scratched and pooped on. Ugh. But everyone is happy and moved in to the new yard...except the people lol. Still got a lot to move!

Sounds like you got lucky as my little girl hatchet out her little quackers last night or this morning and after I noticed her sitting in the water this afternoon I thought nothing of it but when she was there an hour later I checked her nest and found nothing but egg shells so after a little checking I found her baby's laying on the ground I figured the geese or the chickens had gotten to them
th.gif

Sounds like you got lucky as my little girl hatchet out her little quackers last night or this morning and after I noticed her sitting in the water this afternoon I thought nothing of it but when she was there an hour later I checked her nest and found nothing but egg shells so after a little checking I found her baby's laying on the ground I figured the geese or the chickens had gotten to them
th.gif
Oh wow gander that is sad. I keep my mamas and ducklings and mamas and chicks separated for everyone till babies are old enough to know to stay clear of everyone. They can see each other from fencing but I don't trust the adults in my flock.

So sorry.

Hi guys I recently lost a female duck to cayote:( I have decided to keep two eggs to hatch, I usually dispose them, is this ok? Can I just keep two and dispose the rest? They are out most of the time so if it is ok to keep the two eggs will the eggs be fine alone? My ducks stay in a pen inside my garage for he night and during the day it's pretty warm right now will the eggs be fine by themselves? Does she need to come sit on them a certain amount of times?

Hi guys I recently lost a female duck to cayote:( I have decided to keep two eggs to hatch, I usually dispose them, is this ok? Can I just keep two and dispose the rest? They are out most of the time so if it is ok to keep the two eggs will the eggs be fine alone? My ducks stay in a pen inside my garage for he night and during the day it's pretty warm right now will the eggs be fine by themselves? Does she need to come sit on them a certain amount of times?

Sorry for your loss :hugs Do you mean you're going to incubate them or that you're wanting a duck to go broody? It sounds like the latter. If the latter, the duck needs to sit on them 24/7 with the exception of a brief break or two each day to eat and drink. You can't make a duck go broody, and leaving two eggs might not get her to do it - most ducks don't sit until they have what they consider a full clutch, which is not usually only two eggs. Breed plays a role too - what breed is the female you are hoping will sit on the eggs? Some breeds go broody while others generally do not. You really only have about ten days to start incubation before the eggs begin to become less likely to hatch, so if you really want to hatch them, you should really be looking into getting an incubator and doing it yourself. You may also want to do more than two eggs since there's no guarantee that they will both hatch and if only one hatched you'd be stuck with one lonely duckling.

Back
Top Bottom