The Duck Thread

Well I just found reviews on it here :/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/dasp-mini-digital-egg-incubator-7-egg-hatch-capacity-pink

Here's some more detailed info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/774021/dasp-mini-digital-incubator-trial-and-review

None of the eggs hatched in that detailed thread. Doesn't look like it's the best incubator. You may want to return it for something else.
Oh no ok since its on its way I will look at it and turn it on if it looks like it really is horrible I will return it and go to my poultry feed store

Just a few pictures of a few of my 10 week old runners.

Does anyone have much success with nesting boxes? I'm thinking of adding one to my coop, but how successful are they? Is it worth it?
Also what age should my ducks start laying?
Will ducks breed and brood in early fall/late summer?

I think most ducks start to lay at 6 to 7 months old. Mine are only 10 weeks old.

Mine are as well. They finally got all their adult feathers. Now I have to wait for the eggs. I'm contemplating nesting boxes but I don't want to waste my time. I may put one inside the coop and if they use it a lot, consider building an easy, external nesting box that opens from the outside.

Does anyone have much success with nesting boxes? I'm thinking of adding one to my coop, but how successful are they? Is it worth it?

Since adding nesting boxes, my ducks lay in them about 80-90% of the time. We used cheap storage Totes with holes in the side. Works great. Ducks can start laying as early as 4mo old.

Thanks
smile.png
We have nesting boxes in with our Cayugas and usually there are one or two eggs in the boxes and the rest just around the coop floor. They do make nest and share them so that there will be from 3-6 eggs in a nest but not in a box. Also, they usually lay from4-8 eggs just out and about their run/field.

Hi, good picture of your egg, but i cant see the AC. the AC tell alot. so this egg has been in the bator since May 29th? and you took this pic on the 15th? it looks like it is on day 20, or there abouts, to me. but the AC size tell alot.
When you say the egg is growing more on one side, i am not sure what you mean by that? the shape of the duckling as it grows is larger on one side, in a way, but if you are only turning 2-4 times a day, it should be at lest 4 times cuz the duckling can get stuck or stick to one side of the egg and that is not good when hatching time comes. if you ask @Lacrystol or go to this thread, you can ask Q's there...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine

Incubation for runner duck eggs and many other duck eggs (not all of them) is 28 days. i have had my runner & other duck eggs take 30-31 days but not very often.
Try not to touch the eggs very much except to turn them. and always wash your hands prior to handling your eggs. what is the temp in your bator? are you keeping the room the bator is in at 70 degrees? are you keeping the bator away from direct sunlight? do you have all the vent holes open in the bator? what is the humidity in the bator now?
If they are growing/developing and doing well, i would keep doing what you have been doing & on day 25 i would candle them & mark AC's and if you think they are truly on day 25, i would put them in lockdown and up the temp to 101-102 and turn the fan off, if there is one in the bator and you can put a small bowl w/a damp papertowel in it for humidity, keep it at/about 60%. then listen for internal pipping and when you see external pipping (shell cracking open) i would up the humidity to 75%, keep this as constant as possible, dont let the humidity get below 65% at this point.

I am not an expert and i do not have a high % rate of duck hatchings, so take my advise/suggestions lightly. try the sites above and find other duck hatching lovers here on BYC, get all the advice/suggestions you can.
hope i have helped and not confused you any more?
take care and hope to see hatching pictures soon.

Hey! So sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've just had a hectic lack of sleep weekend (kids grad and new puppy!), And I just didn't feel up to snuff to get on a forum lol. Anywho, I took a pic of one of the eggs air sac progress and I'll post it. Although, it may not be needed as a good half of them started with the wobbling Friday night, and internal pipping Saturday! So on lockdown it is. My incubator is completely DIY so no fan, a container of water and wet paper towels for humidity, and a dimmer switch to control a protected light bulb for heat. Temp has been steady between 98-99.8 (thermometer beside eggs) and humidity has been upped and stays around 80-85% as per a few sites I've read. Sound ok?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom