The Duck Thread

Something is wrong with my drakes leg/foot! He's been limping and laying down a lot for a couple days now! I can't see anything wrong with it so I'm guessing maybe he has a pulled muscle or something! And my female decided to abandon her last egg so I am trying to hatch it myself! I still have movement...not sure how long I have before it will hatch tho! Anybody have some wisdom to share with me? Here's a pic...

Total frustration!! The hatch has been progressing way too slow and I realized My hydrometer is royally ****ed and I'm scared my babies might not make it. Its been saying 80% humidity but there's no way it's that high.. it's all made worse that I have to be at work all day and can't monitor them at all. So mad, all of them were up and at'm the past few days and now it's too quiet
1f61e.png
. I've added wet paper towels and had to leave. Only silver lining was that some of them still wobbled and chirped as I was trying to sort all this out
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f61e.png

Thank you @DuckGirl77 !! They are Beatiful ducks....I'm excited to finally be getting them in
263a.png
You're welcome!
smile.png

Something is wrong with my drakes leg/foot! He's been limping and laying down a lot for a couple days now! I can't see anything wrong with it so I'm guessing maybe he has a pulled muscle or something! And my female decided to abandon her last egg so I am trying to hatch it myself! I still have movement...not sure how long I have before it will hatch tho! Anybody have some wisdom to share with me? Here's a pic...

Oh, dear .... I'm not sure about the drake. You could try to find a vet to look at it, but I know vets that treat ducks can be scarce. I'm assuming you took a good look since you said you can't see anything, but are you sure it's not bumblefoot? Just a thought.
I haven't hatched duck eggs before, only chicken eggs, but here's a page with lots of helpful links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine
Maybe someone else can chime in on this one?
Total frustration!! The hatch has been progressing way too slow and I realized My hydrometer is royally ****ed and I'm scared my babies might not make it. Its been saying 80% humidity but there's no way it's that high.. it's all made worse that I have to be at work all day and can't monitor them at all. So mad, all of them were up and at'm the past few days and now it's too quiet
1f61e.png
. I've added wet paper towels and had to leave. Only silver lining was that some of them still wobbled and chirped as I was trying to sort all this out
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f61e.png
Did you calibrate your hygrometer?
I'm very sorry the hatch isn't going well.
hugs.gif
Mine isn't working well either because of humidity
he.gif

You're welcome! :)

Oh, dear .... I'm not sure about the drake. You could try to find a vet to look at it, but I know vets that treat ducks can be scarce. I'm assuming you took a good look since you said you can't see anything, but are you sure it's not bumblefoot? Just a thought.
I haven't hatched duck eggs before, only chicken eggs, but here's a page with lots of helpful links:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine
Maybe someone else can chime in on this one?
Did you calibrate your hygrometer?
I'm very sorry the hatch isn't going well. :hugs Mine isn't working well either because of humidity :he  

It's a cheap kitchen therm/hydrometer..I should've known better or at least bought a second one to have in there. I'm actually gonna leave work early to try to see if there's anything else I can do or rescue
1f61e.png
1f622.png
1f622.png

It's a cheap kitchen therm/hydrometer..I should've known better or at least bought a second one to have in there. I'm actually gonna leave work early to try to see if there's anything else I can do or rescue
1f61e.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
Good luck! I don't think I could hatch, too many things can go wrong, some of them out of your control! You're brave to try it!!!!!!

1f61e.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
Ah, I see. I hope you are able to rescue them! The link I gave season1223 might be useful to you, too. There's tons of good stuff there; you just have to find what you need lol! I'll read through your posts on this thread again and see if I can give you advice ....

Ah, I see. I hope you are able to rescue them! The link I gave season1223 might be useful to you, too. There's tons of good stuff there; you just have to find what you need lol! I'll read through your posts on this thread again and see if I can give you advice ....

Thanks! Everything was going excellent with all eggs progressing as normal, it's just the humidity level at lockdown that didn't happen. I've gotten wobbles, chirps and scratches. Its just worse that I'm here at work and not there monitoring. I've assisted before so I'm not afraid to try again but pointless if I'm not there :/

Back
Top Bottom