The Duck Thread

it is 11pm my time. i am a night owl. but tonight i am tired... it was hot today here and the sun/heat wipes me out.
what kind of work do you do? if you dont mind me asking i am retired..

I don't mind :)

I guess really I work a swing shift, but I do customer service in a call center. I'm also in college to become a vet tech, so that probably kind of counts too :p

Last edited:
I don't mind :)

I guess really I work a swing shift, but I do customer service in a call center. I'm also in college to become a vet tech, so that probably kind of counts too :p
yay for the vet tech education. i wanted to do that a couple of decades ago, but the vet office only needed a part time position and i would of had to take a cut in pay of what i was already making. being a vet tech was a dream job but i couldnt afford to take the job.
are you going to work on large animals also? i have horses.
i wonder what kind of help @season1223 needed w/her hathling? i have 1 duck eggs in lockdown, since yesterday, & 5 more to go to lockdown in 3 days.

This is what I have! What do I need to do?
I put Vaseline on the membrane...just read to do that in another thread & I think it's a girl...it's loud! Lol!

Last edited:
yay for the vet tech education. i wanted to do that a couple of decades ago, but the vet office only needed a part time position and i would of had to take a cut in pay of what i was already making. being a vet tech was a dream job but i couldnt afford to take the job.
are you going to work on large animals also? i have horses.
i wonder what kind of help @season1223 needed w/her hathling? i have 1 duck eggs in lockdown, since yesterday, & 5 more to go to lockdown in 3 days.

It will depend on where I decide to get a job - I may do an emergency clinic which really only sees small animals, but I'd really love to get a job at one of the two places near me that does exotics as they are my favorites. There is one large animal vet in the area so if I end up there I would be seeing an awful lot of horses and cows.

I too have eggs hatching this weekend, magpies. I probably won't be keeping them though - they were just eggs I got so my broody goose could have something to raise.

be careful you dont cut a vein and make her bleed. have some corn starch nearby to stop the bleeding, if you need. i have had 2 like this and i got to anxious to help her out of the shell. it did not end well.
keep watching to make sure she doesnt drown in her own fluid; that is what happend to one of mine.
the other one was too early and hathed sideways like yours... she never made it out on her own and i help her out and she had a lot of yolk to absorb.
if you do get some shell off, later of course, and if she has some yolk to absorb, put her in a cup make sure you keep her INSIDE the bottom half of her shell and put her in the cup... so she sits up in her shell in the cup, kwim?

This is what I have! What do I need to do?
I put Vaseline on the membrane...just read to do that in another thread & I think it's a girl...it's loud! Lol!

How long has it been pipped for? I can see a lot of active veins in there so it is not yet ready to hatch, it needs more time to absorb.

Well I'm not exactly sure what pipped means but it cracked it's shell & started chirping so a peeled a little bk for it to get air...should I have left it alone?

How long has it been pipped for? I can see a lot of active veins in there so it is not yet ready to hatch, it needs more time to absorb.

Well I'm not exactly sure what pipped means but it cracked it's shell & started chirping so a peeled a little bk for it to get air...should I have left it alone?

Pipped is when they make the first crack in the egg. At that time, they still have a lot of absorbing to do and just need to be left alone. It can take up to 48 hours from when they first pip to when they start to zip and hatch.

Back
Top Bottom