The Duck Thread

I candled Sugar's eggs while she was off the nest today and they are developing! Hoepfully I have some ducklings in my future, little welshie/pekin crosses.
YAY!
fl.gif

I don't have a pen and since I already have two other drakes, we decided to get rid of him. It's very sad but it's the best thing to do.
sad.png
He never was tame, and that was the main factor in the decision making process.
Sometimes you have to do what's best for the others. I had to get rid of one of my very first drakes because he kept bullying my younger ducks until he eventually killed one. So it's hard, but you did the best thing for the others
hugs.gif
x2

Ok, how's it going this morning? 

Well she was doing good but unfortunate I just killed her! It was really hard to get the temp high enuf with her in the bowl so I turned the heat up a bit and cooked her! Right b4 that she was busting the shell open more and kept poking those veins with the shell...she was bleeding some...I put a little cornstarch on the spots that were bleeding but I don't know if it helped cuz she was still in the membrane! I guess u live & learn and this was definitely a learning experience! It was a long shot trying to hatch it that way anyways! I'm still sad and disappointed tho! I went ahead and took her out once she died and it wouldn't have been much longer...she only had a little bit of yolk left! I'm gonna make my ducks a nesting box with a door so I can keep them somewhat isolated when they r setting! Maybe it'll keep this from happening again! They really want babies & I do too!

Well she was doing good but unfortunate I just killed her! It was really hard to get the temp high enuf with her in the bowl so I turned the heat up a bit and cooked her! Right b4 that she was busting the shell open more and kept poking those veins with the shell...she was bleeding some...I put a little cornstarch on the spots that were bleeding but I don't know if it helped cuz she was still in the membrane! I guess u live & learn and this was definitely a learning experience! It was a long shot trying to hatch it that way anyways! I'm still sad and disappointed tho! I went ahead and took her out once she died and it wouldn't have been much longer...she only had a little bit of yolk left! I'm gonna make my ducks a nesting box with a door so I can keep them somewhat isolated when they r setting! Maybe it'll keep this from happening again! They really want babies & I do too!

Sorry for your loss. :hugs:

Sadly the little guys didn't make it
1f61e.png

I want to be happy that my single late bloomer egg was alive and well after all this but I found out this morning around 10am while at work that theres a power outage at home and it won't be back on till 7pm
1f61e.png
1f620.png
there's just no winning this time around. I can't believe I lost them all
1f62d.png
1f61e.png

Well whaddya know.. the little guy pulled through!! I did a quick candle when I got home and he was wiggling! Yay I'm so happy I could cry!! I feel I now have a second chance
1f603.png
his lockdown will be starting tomorrow evening and I'll be sure to pick up a new hydrometer or two :) go little guy!!!

Well whaddya know.. the little guy pulled through!! I did a quick candle when I got home and he was wiggling! Yay I'm so happy I could cry!! I feel I now have a second chance
1f603.png
his lockdown will be starting tomorrow evening and I'll be sure to pick up a new hydrometer or two :) go little guy!!!

That's awesome! Congrats & good luck! Nature is funny that way! My little egg I was trying to hatch was left without any heat for several hrs too when it's Mama left it...and it was surviving under-heated all day (cuz I was having trouble getting the heat up high enuf)! Best of luck to u & little bit!
1f60a.png

Oh no, sorry to hear that.

hugs.gif
Ohh, I'm so sorry

1f603.png
his lockdown will be starting tomorrow evening and I'll be sure to pick up a new hydrometer or two
smile.png
go little guy!!!

celebrate.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom